setting it up

reefer2b

Reefing newb
I got my tank yesterday. I set it up today. I decided to get the 29G tank instead of the 37G. The 37 just is an odd looking tank. It's the same dimensions on length and width as the 29 but about 4 inches taller. It makes the tank look really disproportionate. That and I'd have to get on a stool to set it up and clean it.
My sand bed looks a bit deep but I haven't arranged anything yet. It's about 1in. to 1 1/2 in. deep. I only put on one of the power heads. I'm not sure if I need two with the smaller tank. I put it opposite the filter output so they cross each other. As I'm sitting here the tank is starting to clear and I can see the rock and the filter out flow tube, which is moving so I think I need to shorten the tube so maybe it won't wiggle so much.
I bought 22lbs of base rock and 13lbs of live rock. I didn't arrange it yet since I couldn't see into the tank. I did set them in there though.
I'll try to post pics tomorrow. I need to charge the batteries for my camera.

Im sure happy to know I'm not the only one that stands on buckets to work in my tank.
Congratulations of the set up.I know you cant wait to something else in there to look at.Nows the time to SLOOOwwwww down though and go slow.
Hurry up with pics.

I'm willing to go slow. I'm not to sure about my 3 year old though. She was all upset because there were no fish in the tank yesterday. She couldn't understand that there wasn't even any water in the tank. LOL all today she keeps asking were are the fish. There was a dead one that got caught up in my live rock. I almost threw it in and said there's your fish. Then I'd have to explain why it isn't swimming. So it's still in the bucket.
I will post pics tomorrow. I got some cool rocks, (at least I think so) one has a hole in the middle, like a tunnel. The LFS guy tried to pick out the ones with the most color too. I'm sure the water will be clear enough to place the rocks tomorrow.
Should I go for least amount of rock on the sand as I can? Oh, and should I push the rock down into the sand or sorta leave sit on top?

If you plan on getting any sand shifters I woulld put the rock directly on the bottom. If not you can let it sit on top. I woulld go with 1-2 pounds per gallon. Add your water and let the cycle begin.

It would probably be a good idea to push the rock down into the sand to give it more stability.I used dry base rock under my sand and built the reef on top of that.
As for how much rock is on the sand,thats totally up to you.

Sounds like you are off to a great start. For stability, put the rock on the bottom and kinda build the sand up around it. Live rock is much more stable than it looks, and once you start arranging it you'll find pieces that fit together well.

Thanks, at this moment the only thing I wish I had done was to move the tank a little further away from the wall to be able to clean the glass behind it easier.
It's very clear this morning. What is the best way to wipe down the glass on the inside. It's not dirty but has streaks from when I wiped the dust of it before putting in the water. I'm sure I've seen the answer in a post somewhere but I have no idea which one. There have been so many LOL.

sounds good. go slow, as a man with no paitence I know how hard it is. Good luck with explaining why there are no fish in there to your 3 year old for about 3 weeks :)

For the inside glass, you should pick up a magnet cleaner like a Mag Float. They carry them at fish stores, and even at regular old pet stores like PetSmart and Petco, I think. You'll definitely need one as your tank matures anyways to scrape algae off the inside of the glass.

I just ordered one of those. I wound up using the sponge cover for the power head intake to wipe it down. It worked fine for getting the smudges of the inside of the glass.

as a guy with little kids I have a suggestion for you to help with two things bonding an not having to explain why no fishies yet. Get a betta or goldfish bowl. cheap and easy, you can make feeding time daddy daughter time which is always great. you might have a 20 dollar bill wrapped up in the whole project. Betta was my girls first fish named it spike the dirtbike...now everytime she sees one theyre dirtbike fish. Laugh everytime!

LOL that's cute. Knowing my daughter though she'd be trying to put the goldfish in the big tank. She found the deadd fish in the rock box yesterday and was trying to put him in the tank. She finally threw him in the trash. I think my husband would think I was nuts if I bought a goldfish tank. That's what he wanted me to get in the first place; I wanted the real thing.

Back