Set up question

arkansasboy

Reefer Wannabe
With my 46 bowfront would It be better for me to aim at 460 gph flow or would 600 be better? The overflow box I am looking at has a 600 gph flow rate. Also, I am thinking of 2 powerheads. Does this set-up sound okay?

I personally would go with two koralia 425's.. those plus your return flow would give you plenty in your tank.. could always add a 240 later behind your rock if needed..

I Posted this in another thread a little bit ago but, for reference his tank is actually smaller then yours. Also, you could ask Dana his tank is a 46 bowfront as well.
Nope, I don't think they slow before quitting...they just up and quit. And depending on what livestock you're keeping will determine how much flow to have. I'm my 29gal, I have a koralia 1, 2, and 3, along with a maxi-jet. My 3 is behind the rockwork, the 2 is at the top making ripples, and the 1 and maxi-jet is mid level and low to the sand bed to keep particles suspended.

I personally would go with two koralia 425's.. those plus your return flow would give you plenty in your tank.. could always add a 240 later behind your rock if needed..

Those 425 nanos don't move as much water as your thinking. I've got 2 maxijet 1200s (395gph) and a koralia 425 in my 28g.

Those 425 nanos don't move as much water as your thinking. I've got 2 maxijet 1200s (395gph) and a koralia 425 in my 28g.
Okay, that seems like pretty good flow. I know you want to aim for 10x your tank size but I read somewhere that some people will go alot higher. I am thinking 600 gph wont be overkill for my tank with the powerheads(not sure what size yet). I plan on placing one on each side to direct the flow in a circular motion and maybe adding a third later behind my rock. Does this sound okay?

honestly the more flow the better, my 75 gallon has over 3000gph of flow in it nearly 4000gph. If the sand aint blowing around, you dont have to much flow.

honestly the more flow the better, my 75 gallon has over 3000gph of flow in it nearly 4000gph. If the sand aint blowing around, you dont have to much flow.
I have heard that. My next question is this. If you run a much higher gph flow rate and your overflow box is rated lower than that will your drain rate be screwed up thus causing your total flow through the system to be out of balance? I was looking at this overflow box and it is rated at 600 gph so do I have to go to a larger box? I thought flow rate through a box would be dictated by the diameter of the drain line. I want to make sure I get this right so I dont screw something up.

Powerheads don't dictate flow through you sump. You want to match your return pump with your oveflow and tune it so that you don't have more water going in than coming out...it gets wet and messy quickly, trust me.

Powerheads are simply circulation pumps that are placed inside of your display. IMO 10x rate of turn over is the bare minimum in a reef. The type livestock you keep will greatly determine your flow needs. My 180g circulates about 9,000 gph.

Back