Sand for a 75.

OceanCrazy

Reefing newb
I wanted to ask what ways should i add the sand? Should i use live sand or dry? If i use dry, should i place it on top of the existing or mix it.

I have 80lbs in my 75g. ( was "live" when I put it in ).

if your tank is already set-up, I have seen people recommend cup-fulls to avoid a sand storm.

not sure if I helped.

I wouldn't mix it -- that will stir up a lot of crap in your water. Just put it on top. What some people have done to cut down on the cloudiness is to pour it through a length of PVC into your tank, with the end of the PVC on the bottom where you want the sand to go. That way it doesn't fall down through the water.

You can add live sand or dry sand. The sand that's already in your tank is live, so anything you add to it will become live eventually too. It's cheaper to use dry.

Does it matter if i use fine size sand or should i use medium. 1 more thing, i have no space for a sump atm. Any other idea or filtration i could use?

Any particular brand?

I used an Aqua-C Remora for several months on my 50, and then used it again on a very lightly stocked 90 until I upgraded the skimmer. The Remora is rated for tanks 20-75 gallons, and it's a very effective little skimmer! It can get a little noisy, since it's not sitting in any water to buffer the sound, but eventually you get used to the buzz and really don't even notice it. And you can use a standard maxijet 1200 to power it! As to the canister filter, not really. Those things are nitrate factories in a saltwater aquarium. I know some people use them strictly to run carbon, but that's about the only use you'll get out of one.

If you use the mj 1200 to power a protein skimmer, then you would probably need one additional powerhead. If not, then you should be fine. I still have my Remora, if you're interested in it.

I have an instant ocean hob one and for some reason i just never thought it did any good on the 38. I dont really know how to set it up. when i do i have to really open it up for the bubbles to start and then i get a lot of bubbles in the water to the point u cant even see the back of the aquarium.

You can also add the sand then place a plate on top of the sand and let the water hit the plate and then when it runs off the plate it wont be hitting the sand with such a force that it all clouds up.

I have an instant ocean hob one and for some reason i just never thought it did any good on the 38. I dont really know how to set it up. when i do i have to really open it up for the bubbles to start and then i get a lot of bubbles in the water to the point u cant even see the back of the aquarium.

Some brands are better than others. Can't say I've heard good things about that one.

Back