Salt Sale

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
A local business has a salt sale going on $25 bucks for either Tropic Marin or Corallife salt in 160gal buckets. Anyone have any experience with either? Have a preference? The handles are bent so its basically a scratch and dent sale. Which brand should I get and how long will the salt store in the buckets?

I've heard good things about the Tropic Marin salt, but never used it myself. As long as the buckets don't get moisture in them (and turn the salt into a rock), they should be able to keep for a long time. I have 4 160-gallon buckets on my back patio right now. I plan on stretching those out over the rest of the year.

I was really thinking about a bulk buy like say 4-6 buckets of whatever you guys think would be best. I have a little over a half bucket of IO left and that is normally all I can find locally.

tropic marin is good stuff, I used it for a year. It is usually a good bit more expensive than most salts to. Plus unless things have changed I think a 5 gallon bucket of tropic marin is rated at 200 gallons.
If I were there id buy all he had at that price.
Tropic marin makes two kinds of salt so check which one it is, there is a standard and a PRO. the pro is designed more for calcium reactor setups.(different levels to acomidate the reactor)

Its the regular Tropic, when he carries it he sells it for 65 a bucket and people drive for hours to get it from him. They claim that it is "virtually the same as seawater"

Well I grabbed the last two buckets of the Tropic Marin. Whats everyones opinion on Corallife brand salt? He still has about 20 buckets of that left.

Batavia New York at Petmart, Ken the owner is a great guy. I think he has the outlet for scratch and dent stuff. Some awesome deals if you dont have to have new.

Instant ocean here sells for $55 to $70 a bucket. And even though you can get salt for $30 - $40 a bucket from Dr foster you still have to pay shipping. So by the time you buy it locally you support your local store and come pretty close to the price you would pay online. I still get it locally for what Online prices are, but the average guy can still support his local store and get close prices usually.

that is where you are wrong, The Drs shipping it super cheap and is not based on weight. I also find a $5 off coupon every time so the shipping usually amounts to $5.

How about Corallife salt! I WILL be buying salt at the LFS so thats all I need is a little opinion on Corallife salt. I will be getting the salt at least for $5 cheaper a bucket with no shipping so its kind of a moot point.

Instant ocean here sells for $55 to $70 a bucket. And even though you can get salt for $30 - $40 a bucket from Dr foster you still have to pay shipping. So by the time you buy it locally you support your local store and come pretty close to the price you would pay online. I still get it locally for what Online prices are, but the average guy can still support his local store and get close prices usually.

Nope, Drs. F & S has a flat shipping fee of $17 for heavy stuff like salt. I just purchased 6 200-gallon buckets for $17 in shipping. I saved hundreds of dollars over buying it at my LFS.

Ok so after looking at the good Doctors' site. If I continue to use IO I will order it from them at a 20 savings, the tropic marin I bought I saved 27bucks+shipping and if I buy coralife it will be a 10 savings. Do I get it or just use up what I currently have and use Instant Ocean when I run out?

I would steer clear of the coralife salt, just cause I know nothing about it, it doesnt appear to be popular and who knows whats in it?

As for some of the online purchasing of salt, Im glad alot of you are able to shave some money off your salt purchases. sometimes it helps to save a buck, just be sure and tell your local store when they go out of buissness that you helped. Dont take it the wrong way, I know saving money is important to alot if not everyone. And if you make an effort to help your local store in other ways ignore me. But I get agrivated by people who appear to take great pride in not supporting there local store by finding every way possible to buy online. Anyway im rambling, but all that to say support your local store in some way or they wont be there when you do need them.

And biff, I dont see how you could save hundreds on 6 buckets? you would have paid $200 for six buckets from them and shipping, how much is salt there? it would have to be outragous to equal hundreds, I would assume you might save $80 on six buckets? just curious how much salt is there

Back