rocks shifting

Are you asking if people use some kind of cohesive substance to hold the rocks together? If so, I've never heard of someone doing that but not saying it couldn't be done. I've seen people use PVC skeletons to get some crazy rock formations using zip-ties to hold them. Its kinda unsightly at first but they just added coral to hide the zip ties.

I also stack mine...did you place the rock on the bottom of the glass before your substrate, or, the substrate before the rock...the sifting of the substrate may cause your rocks to shift also...you may also purchase some underwater epoxy to hold the rocks together. Check foster and smith website.

You can drill holes in the rocks and attach them using wooden dowels. You can also drill holes and connect them with a PVC frame or zip ties. But most rocks will be pretty stable just stacked together. It's like a puzzle -- you just have to figure out the right combination. A more permanent solution is epoxy putty to stick them together, but we've all had to remove our rocks at one time or another, so I would advise against permanently sticking your rocks together.

I just stack mine. I have a stick of epoxy under the tank but haven't opened it yet. I was going to make them permanent but may go bigger down the road. I brought my wife with me to a local reefing club member's home to pick up an overflow. She was so impressed with the 300 gal tank that she suggested on going a little bigger, maybe 120, but definitely not 300.

You can also use black zip ties to attach the rock together.But you know you'll eventuall have to move them around.So stacking is easier.

Back