RO water

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
I just got my RO unit got it all set up and working. Forgot that I turned it on and flooded the downstairs bathroom. I really need to find a permenant place to hang it. Now I have a few questions. How much of my tank water can I change at one time? How much water can I store up? Can I still add fish or do I need to wait? Do I need to test the water before I add it to my main tank? I think that about covers it.

I do a 10% water change once a week. You can do more or less, or more or less frequently depending on your tank's needs. I usually store around 20 gallons at a time. I lose around a gallon a day to evaporation. You don't need to test the water before you add it to your main tank unless you start having algae problems or something, but it is a good idea to test it occasionally to make sure that your RO unit is working properly.

You can hook up your ro unit to your washer spicket. Just buy a spliter. There should be a drain somewhere around your washer in the laundry room incase it overflows. I personally change 50 -60% of my water once every 3-4 weeks. I keep 30 gallons sw on hand and 10 fresh.

That's what I think I'll do is buy a spliter and hook it to the washer and put the bad water hose in the washer. Is it alright to store water in plastic milk jugs? Someone recommended a garbage can but I don't have the room for one.

I bought nice 5 gallon jugs for my sw but I keep my fresh in milk jugs. Since its summer I refrigderate my fresh just to help combat tank heat

You should/need to invest in a TDS meter, this will tell you when you need to change your R.O filters. In the long run this device will save you money. Instead of guessing when you need to change your filters this is a fool proof way of telling if you need to. Here is a link to some TDS meters TDS Meters. If you have any questions about them, let me know.

Back