RO shutoff

ccCapt

Reef Hacker
I think everyone has a shutoff valve on their RO. I needed a different style shutoff than what I had before to finish up my ATO. So I just picked up a Watts quick connect shutoff from Lowes. No one needs directions on how to install it, but there were instructions in the bag. Curiosity got the best of me so I looked at the instructions and I see a warning.

WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. (Plumber: California law requires that this warning be given to the consumer)

What do you think? This is a standard part that's used on many RO units. What can the warning be for?

i just picked up that exact same shutoff from lowes. except threaded on one end and quick connect on the other. to me i would assume that they are comprised of a chemical that if broken down to that exact chemical could cause harm if ingested or if it came into contact with an open wound or something. and hell its only California right? seriously though i do wonder what the deal is wit that. i didnt read the bag. wonder if its still in the garage. whatever it is i assume its something that is no longer active as its been molded and cured. but that is based off a completely uneducated guess.

i wouldnt be worried, it seems like everything these days has that warning from the state of California

In California,if you breath,your going to get cancer I reckon.Every thing you buy has that warning on it.
I wouldnt worry about it either.

Everything in California gives you cancer. Especially RO/DI water, some REALLY toxic stuff in that 0 TDS water! lol Hydrogen and oxygen molecules are especially hazardous to your health.

Well, like most plastics, I can only assume that it can cause cancer or birth defects under the right conditions. Those conditions usually include it being exposed to high levels of UV radiation and high levels of heat. So, it's probably not a big deal.

Back