return pump

Go with a pump rated close to the drain/overflow.Keep in mind return pumps loses flow from head height.For example-if your drain is 600gph(1'') than get a pump rated same or less.A Mag 7 pump would be a perfect choice.After 4ft head loss,it pumps only 400-450gph which is less than the drain/oveflow.

Disclaimer-Mags make good internal pumps but loud when ran externally.

I never use either or seen local reefers with them.I don't know if the Ocean Runner is enough without knowing what your overflow or drain can handle.If you have an overflow than the manufacturer should have a rating.If its a drill tank then 1'' drain is about 600gph-1.5'' is aproximately 900gph etc.

also, since i havent put baffles in my sump yet, as i have yet to design it, i could, in all probability, be able to make the return directly below the return bulkhead, effectively using a completely vertical pipe directly to the return outlet. would it still be wise to use a 600gph return ? my tank will have mega flow =p

Aim for a return pump thats rated around 600-700gph.I recommend a ball valve on the return side for added control over the flow.

Quiet One-2200/3000
Mag 7
Ocean Runner 2500

Back