Refugium???

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
I plan to have my 46 gallon running with an Octopus 2000 HOB and an Emperor 400 filter (just to help cycle the water). Do I need/should I have a refugium?

I don't have the money for a traditional refugium (the $300+ ones), but I'm up to a DIY as long as it's not too complicated...

I've seen DIY refugiums for Emperor filters and Aquaclear filters; would something like that work on a 46 gallon?

You don't need a refugium to start or help cycle your tank. They're used as a filtration source and to grow pods as food. It will add to your overall water volume which help to stabalize your water params more easily and have less of a drastic fluctuation. The DIY ones are easy to make and don't cost an arm and a leg. I made my own when I was at the early stages of starting the SW hobby. I used a 10g aquarium, plexiglass for the baffles, aquarium grade silicone, rio return pump, cpr 50 overflow w/ an aqualifter pump and a cheapo clamp on light w/ a cfl bulb. This may sound complicated, but its really not. Just ask and we'll be happy to help you through the process. Here's a pic of my fuge for an example.

Picture003.jpg

My sump/Fuge was a FREE 20g Long I found on CL, the baffles cost me about $15 at a glass shop. Really the only things I had to buy were the return pump and overflow.

The problem is that I don't have space under/beside my tank for a sump/refugium; everything has to hang on the back...

I think I'd like to either convert the Emperor 400 into a refugium, or replace the Emperor and give the Aquaclear Refugium DIY a try. Any suggestions on the Emperor vs. Aquaclear refugium?

Yeah, as stated they are not necessary but they are beneficial in that they add water volume, an opportunity for nutrient export, by growing algae, and a place to breed pods to feed your tank. All things considered, if you have the ability to add one, it would be a good thing.

I am not familiar with the emperor, but the aquaclear does work nicely for a fuge. Just use cut some eggcrate to the width of the opening, and taller than the opening, place it into the HOB, fill it with some sand, and then throw a piece of Chaeto on top. the eggcrate will keep the chaeto from falling into the tank. If you do it right, your tank light should hit the fuge too so you wont have to add another light.

Yeah. I've heard that the Emperor can be used as a fuge, but the Aquaclear seems to be the better choice. What size Aquaclear would I need for a 46 gallon, though?

get the biggest one you can fit/afford. You can turn the flow down, but you just want it for the volume so you can fit a reasonable amount of chaeto and some LR rubble too.

Back