Refugium Question????

ZOOT098

Reefing newb
any thoughts on running the refugium ouside of the sump in a seperate tank so the water can move through it at a slower pace

i have heard opinions that this is a more effective use of the fuge

since i am just starting i dont have an opinion of my own

you can do that, it will take more work, but you will have more water volume and a bigger refugium which is better not sure on plans as I have never done it before

my main tank is drilled

keep in mind the tank is not set up yet, im in the planning stages of how the setup will work

i have a 90 gallon cornerdrilled
a 30 gallon for my sump/fuge

the 30 gallon is not drilled

im thinking i would have to put a wye in my overflow prior to running it into my sump and instal a ball valve so part of the water would run into the seperate fuge at a slower pace, drill the fuge somwhere near the top of the tank and let it overflow/gravity feed back into the sump????

sound insane???

You mean both of the tanks (fuge & sump) are being connected to each other correct? If you divide the water from the overflow to go into two different tanks, they will need to be connected or else you will need two return pumps.

Why dont you just make baffles instead of dividing the draining water if you dont want too much flow in your fuge?

thats the way i am planning on doing it
i will have my sump seperated into three sections, with the fuge in the middle, i just thought about keeping it seperate

i was also told to keep the fuge to one side of the sump instead of in the middle and put a wye in my drain tube with a ball valve, and drain the main tank water into the middle section where the skimmer will be located and drain water into the fuge at a slower pace via the valve, then let it flow over a baffle into the middle section

Back