Ready for an Anemone?

SigEpLucas

Nano Reefer
My tank is 11 months old now and I'm really wanting to add 1 more fish and an anemone. I have included some pics I actually moved my tank from school back home and could not bring my sump that is why my heater and skimmer are in the display but in 2 weeks i'm going back and will be setting the sump back up. My only concern is lights I only have a 130 watt pc light right now but my question is

Am I ready for an Anemone? What all needs to be done to make this happen?

Full Tank Shot
IMG_0174.jpg

FrogSpawn and Xenia
IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

Im just gonna give an opinion, an anemone's can be fickle, but if your corals seem to be thriving in your light conditions then basic anemones, with low to medium light conditions and a moderate amount of care should be ok, they will need to be supplemented with krill or shrimp. The anemone will move around till it finds a spot it likes to ease the transition id try and find a fish that will pair with the anemone so it will acclimate better to your tank.

3 watts per gallon would probably be optimum but I've seen and heard of anemones thriving from a 24 watt 50/50 in smaller tanks.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your new additions.

PC`s do not have enough intensity. Nowadays it`s not about WPG but about intensity and par. If you were to go by WPG an anenome would need about 6 or more. T5`s and MH`s have the intensity needed for anenomes.

See if Biff or Yote can give you some more info or links. I would agree though, the stronger the light the better.

Last edited:
If you're wanting to add the anemone to your tank - just go ahead and drop a stick of dynamite in there and get it over with, because the end result is going to be the same. Everything will be dead and you'll have to start all over.

Sorry, tough love makes the best point sometimes.

yeah i hated my anemone after a while... it started to move so i had to monitor it every 15 minutes to see where it was gonna go and move stuff out of the way... it started not to look so good and i was worried it might die... one day i just scraped it off the rock and threw it away and havent had to worry about it since

Back