Raising pH level

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Okay, got a question which I'm sure I have read the answer for but simply can't remember. How do I raise the pH level in a new tank? Its starting week 2 and the pH is down to 7.8. Will it correct its self as time goes by? It was 8.3 when I first out the water in the tank. (Mixed RODI and Instant Ocean)

Honestly, if your tank is only 2 weeks old, there's no reason to add buffers for anything at this point. Also, it may get higher again as time goes on but, even if it doesn't 7.8 is still within the normal acceptable range for tanks.

Is the tank still cycling, if so, them the ph will regulate itself after the cycle is complete...also, ph is lower in the morning and raises higher after the lights have been on for a while. The main thing you want with ph is stability, 7.8 isn't too bad, but to raise our, you can buy a buffer at your lfs.

Yes the tank is in cycle. Thanks for the info. I know its been in my head before, just so much info I can file and have readily available. Getting old I guess! I let it ride and just keep a log of it. I'm just starting out and am using test strips for the cycle. Gotta get me a good test kit here soon and learn how to use it correctly!

Thanks again!

Brian and Smitty have you covered.

Go ahead and invest in the API test kits.Those strips are about as unreliable as a coon guarding a sardine factory.

Back