Quick Question about Haitian Anemones...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
So I was at my LFS today and they had some very nice haitian anemones. Don't worry I didn't buy one, but they said that they were perfectly reef safe... Now I have heard they are really aggressive and will eat fish... How reef safe are they? Are they just as bad as say a RBTA?

Condys can catch and eat fish, and they are one of the more difficult anemones to keep. Plus, clowns don't host in them. Bobby has been keeping one very successfully. What do you mean worse than RBTAs? Harder to keep alive? Yes. More agressive? Yes. Will host? No.

So what the hell is the point in keeping them? What makes them more aggressive than RBTA's? Can RBTA's not catch fish? They all can be harmful to corals, so what makes them more aggressive...

BTAs rarely catch fish. Hardly ever. Anemones such as carpets and condys seem to be more opportunistic and will just grab at things swimming by. I also think that condys have a more potent sting than BTAs, if they touch corals.

People keep them because they look cool.

Biffs right again.Of the anemones,BTAs have the weakest stings and are less likely to snag your fish.
BTAs are most dependent on light and the clowns that use them as a host for feeding.

BTA are the best bet. Hell, carpet nems hurt US if we touch them. They are the worst nem to have. Condys are just about useless except for tanks with low lighting that cannot seem to keep BTAs

-Doc

Back