Questions

WWS

Reefing newb
I have some questions with my tank set up and starting the water cycle.

1. Should I be worried about pH, Nitrites, Nitrates, and ammonia measurements at this time?

2. If the salinity of the water is low what is the best way to add salt to the water? Do I just pour it in the tank or shout I pour it in the pump compartment of the filter and let the pump circulate the water and salt?

Thanks

If you need to raise your salinity top off your evap water with saltwater not RO/DI. I would only test your water once or twice a week until your cycles over.

If you do not have any animals in your tank, you do not need to worry about your water parameters. It is useful to test during your cycle to find out where you stand. That way you can know for sure when it is safe to add your first fish and invertibrates.

Like Hawks said, use saltwater to top off your evaporated water to get your salinity up to the correct level. Normally you would only use fresh water to top off evaporation, but in this case go ahead and use salt.

I tested everything every day from day #2 when I started my tank.But thats just me.
What exactly is your salinity? Ifs it fairly low (1.019 or lower) then top off with saltwater.If its 1.022 or above,then I would just wait untill time for a water change and make the new water has the right salinity.

I would test every 3-4 days while its cycling.Once a week when the cycle is complete.Good advice about raising SG,so no need to repeat.

Back