question guys......................................

fishsticks

No clue about reefs
i have my first anemone whats the easiest and best way to food them, they need direct feeding well mine does atleast, i fed mine with the frozen piece still together an it grabbed it. do u guys have any inventions or small things u use and will the frozen stuff hurt it

We need more details. What kind of anemone do you have? How long has your tank been setup? how much lighting do you have?

With anemones, there are a lot of issues to be aware of and i just want to make sure you have covered all angles before you concern with feeding...

from my understanding you been in the hoby 3 months so im guessing thats how old ur tank is. i know bio cube have good lighting and strong enough to house anemone. but i think you tank mite be a little immature. your tank needs to be atleats 7 months to keep one heathy, and not stressing.

what kind do you have? You have a small chance for success. I tried them too soon in one of my tanks and they crashed the whole tank when they died. they do need some major attention with parameters. You might want to think about taking it back

-Doc

I agree with Doc. If your tank is only 2 or 3 months old, your anemone will probably not survive. They need very mature, established tanks, like at least 10 months old. They require pristine and stable water conditions. While some anemone species are easier than others, none of them are considered easy animals. They are much more difficult to keep than most corals out there. If they get sick or die, they will wipe out your whole tank with them.

Anyways, your question is about feeding, and tweezers or feeding tongs do the trick well.

I have heard that the odds for long term success with anemones is less than 5 percent, and that is including those with mature tanks. I gave up on anemones due to the damage they can do as they die. I did manage, once, to keep a green carpet anemone alive for just over 20 months. All other attempts were no better than 6 months. And that is during a period of over 20 years.

Everybody has already covered the mature tank and how to feed the anemone.
I'll get the how often:
I feed my BTA every 3rd or 4th day.It'll either get a whole,raw table shrimp,a frozen clam,a whole silverside,or lancefish.

I have heard that the odds for long term success with anemones is less than 5 percent, and that is including those with mature tanks. I gave up on anemones due to the damage they can do as they die. I did manage, once, to keep a green carpet anemone alive for just over 20 months. All other attempts were no better than 6 months. And that is during a period of over 20 years.

Fatman, after i increasedmy lights, i am planing on getting a carpet as well. But only the Stichodactyas helianthus. Do you know anything about this type of carpet and whether i would be able to keep it successfully? From what i have read, this is the only carpet anemone that is relatively hardy compared to the rest and has the best chance of survival.

Or do you think i should just give up my dream of keeping anemones altogether?

Thanks!

Carpets are hardy, but they have a reputation for eating fish. I've seen a carpet anemone eat it's own clown host one time. They have a tendency to eat any fish that they can catch. I can recall several times on here where someone has purchased a carpet anemone, and they were warned to watch their fish carefully, and sure enough one of their fish got gobbled. If you want to take that risk, that's fine, but carpets are no hardier than bubble tip anemones and still have a very poor survival rate.

Carpets are hardy?

Like Fatman,I gave up on anemones 15 years ago.Nothing can ruin a system faster than a melting anemone....and the horrendous smell.

Well i think this specific carpet is the exception. All other carpets supposedly are not easy at all but this one from what i have been reading is the only exception to the rule. When i say "easy", i mean "less difficult"

I actually might have the name of it wrong. I think another name for it is the Saddleback Anemone. But im not sure...too many diffrent names for these things so i get confused. But the color is more brownish then the rest.

BTW, i found this info on anemones in case anyone cares:

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

useless piece of information for today: carpet nems will eat pretty much any fish if it gets a hankering, except domino damsels (the black ones with the white spots) they host the carpets nems and do not get eaten

-Doc

Back