Protien skimmer is going nuts!!!!!!!

mennazeher04

Reefing newb
Ok over the last 5 days I added this stuff called "RED SLIME CONTROL" the directions said to turn off protein skimmer for 5 days and then do a 25% water change. I did the water change today and I did my weekly maintenance, cleaned the collection cup out and turned the skimmer back on and it started foaming like crazy. It filled the collection cup up in like 5 minutes. The color of the stuff in the cup is like a yellow tint, so im guessing its the red slime control chemical stuff but i wanted to ask do i let the cup fill up and dump intil the skimmer calms down and replace with fresh water or what? I turned the skimmer off intil you guys and lovely gals help me out......lol.....so any help is great thanks........:D

sounds like your skimmer needs adjusting, sounds like you having it running way to wet if it fills up that fast.. the skimmate that comes out of my skimmer is brown almost black even..

sounds like your skimmer needs adjusting, sounds like you having it running way to wet if it fills up that fast.. the skimmate that comes out of my skimmer is brown almost black even..

I dont think it needs to be adjusted cuz one i dont see anywhere to adjust it and its never done this intil i put that red slime control stuff in. Oh also sorry i forgot to mention that i also added aiptasia-x, dont know if that would also cause this problem but just an update.

Before adding that red slime control stuff i also had black skim that would collect in the cup too so im gonna try water changes to see if that will help.

Mennazeher,

You should be able to adjust the skimmer by raising the collection cup up the neck a bit.
Also, just my opinion, try to stay away from the chems if at all possible. The stuff will just muck up the tank and should only be used in an EXTREME case. I see a lot of people just dumping stuff in the tank because the bottle says it's OK...

I tend to try and find natural methods to control problems.....red slime, try certain types of crabs, more direct flow in the direction of the slime, macro algae to counteract the nitrates & phosphates in the tank, etc. Also, aiptasia can also be controlled with peppermint shrimps or copperband butterflys.

Just my "inner hippie" coming out.

Your skimmer, if adjusted up, should come back to normal in a few hours - days at most.

Good Luck.

Mennazeher,

You should be able to adjust the skimmer by raising the collection cup up the neck a bit.
Also, just my opinion, try to stay away from the chems if at all possible. The stuff will just muck up the tank and should only be used in an EXTREME case. I see a lot of people just dumping stuff in the tank because the bottle says it's OK...

I tend to try and find natural methods to control problems.....red slime, try certain types of crabs, more direct flow in the direction of the slime, macro algae to counteract the nitrates & phosphates in the tank, etc. Also, aiptasia can also be controlled with peppermint shrimps or copperband butterflys.

Just my "inner hippie" coming out.

Your skimmer, if adjusted up, should come back to normal in a few hours - days at most.

Good Luck.

Thanks alot messiah once again......lol.......I was hoping that the red slime control wouldnt have done anything stupid to my tank but it made my skimmer go crazy and happy to say that i wont be using that stuff no more and i wont be putting chemicals back into the tank at all no more. Lesson learned!!!!:D

Yeah, just turn your skimmer off (or down) for a few more days, and in the meantime, do more water changes. You'll just have to dilute the stuff out enough for it to stop affecting your skimmer.

i had the same thing happen
if you take the cup off, turn down the skimmer, and stick a media bag full of carbon in your bubble trap so the water has to run through it the foaming will stop in an hour or so

i had the same thing happen
if you take the cup off, turn down the skimmer, and stick a media bag full of carbon in your bubble trap so the water has to run through it the foaming will stop in an hour or so

I may be being dumb right now but i dont think my skimmer can be turned down or adjusted. On the top of my collector cup is says......"AQUARIEN TECHNIK KLAES........5483 GIMMIGEN" I didnt purchase this skimmer it was given too me and it is supposed to be some high dollar skimmer. Saying all this Im basically saying I dont know too much about it. But anyways instead of doing the carbon thing your way would it kinda be the same thing if used my eheim to run carbon?

i think that would do the trick
the carbon will pull out the chemical thats causing the foaming
at least it worked for me when i treated for red slime

mennazeher,

I think you have the ATK Jr.

Junior2.jpg

FROM THE SITE:
The protein skimmer Type Junior represents an expansion of our range of high performance protein skimmers. It was specially developed for installation in cabinets beneath aquariums and is suitable for installation both outside and inside of the filter chamber. (Height only ca. 55 cm including foam beaker).
Combined with our pump MP 5036 or our ATK BLACK DEVIL 6000 or an EHEIM Type 1060 the ATK Protein Skimmer Junior independently draws in up to 500 litres of air per hour through its venturi nozzle, which is mixed with the water.
Above this, in the foam tube of the foam beaker, the proven foam sieve provides for the necessary settling of the wet foam, which leads to a very effective protein skimming.
When using the EHEIM pump Type 1060 as an immersion pump (which sits on the intake basket), only 4 cm of water is necessary in the filter tank.

Application is simple:
Make a short curved or straight pipe or tube connection to the intake connecting piece on the bottom of the skimmer (19 mm).
Connect the outlet nozzle on the top of the skimmer to the filter reservoir, provided that the skimmer isn't already immersed in the filter reservoir.
Connect the air tube to the air nozzle (under the foam beaker), lead the tube over a fixed point higher than the foam beaker and close the tube with a clamp.
Turn the pump on and adjust the water level in the skimmer by regulating the outlet such that the water level remains at the level of the foam sieve with the air tube clamped.
The degree to which the water is to be wet or dry skimmed can be adjusted by the amount of air admitted by the tube clamp, which can be appropriately opened or closed.

mennazeher,

I think you have the ATK Jr.

Junior2.jpg

FROM THE SITE:
The protein skimmer Type Junior represents an expansion of our range of high performance protein skimmers. It was specially developed for installation in cabinets beneath aquariums and is suitable for installation both outside and inside of the filter chamber. (Height only ca. 55 cm including foam beaker).
Combined with our pump MP 5036 or our ATK BLACK DEVIL 6000 or an EHEIM Type 1060 the ATK Protein Skimmer Junior independently draws in up to 500 litres of air per hour through its venturi nozzle, which is mixed with the water.
Above this, in the foam tube of the foam beaker, the proven foam sieve provides for the necessary settling of the wet foam, which leads to a very effective protein skimming.
When using the EHEIM pump Type 1060 as an immersion pump (which sits on the intake basket), only 4 cm of water is necessary in the filter tank.

Application is simple:
Make a short curved or straight pipe or tube connection to the intake connecting piece on the bottom of the skimmer (19 mm).
Connect the outlet nozzle on the top of the skimmer to the filter reservoir, provided that the skimmer isn't already immersed in the filter reservoir.
Connect the air tube to the air nozzle (under the foam beaker), lead the tube over a fixed point higher than the foam beaker and close the tube with a clamp.
Turn the pump on and adjust the water level in the skimmer by regulating the outlet such that the water level remains at the level of the foam sieve with the air tube clamped.
The degree to which the water is to be wet or dry skimmed can be adjusted by the amount of air admitted by the tube clamp, which can be appropriately opened or closed.

WOW.................Ever since i got this skimmer i have been trying my hardest to find info on it and was unseccessful but you found it......lol.....well thank you, but question for ya is this a good skimmer or ? Also i dont think i have all the parts its talking about to be honest.....i dont know i just know that it was working just fine intil i added that red slime control so i guess i have all parts....lol

Back