protein skimmer

leon1972

Reefing newb
Hey guys, was just wondering, how high up the catch tube do i want my protein skimmer to bubble up? It seems i keep getting it to where the water itself is getting in the catch and no "Gunk" as ill call it. lol

the lower you keep it the more it will be "dry skim" which will produce more foam and less gunk in the cup, you put it up higher it will be "wet skimming" more will be taken out of the tank.. I personally like to wet skim.... wet skim will usually be close to half way up the that cone of the collection cup while dry will be just above the base of the cone ( usually like a half inch up or so)..

There is no protein skimmer in my sump. It is just a dual chamber. It has one section where the sump goes and them a second section with a lid where the fiber filter and carbon go. I do not believe there is anywhere for the protein skimmer to go.

I WOULD like to put the protein skimmer i the sump though. It seems a few of the fish I want I cant have due to the back of the aquarium being open. lol

I like that idea, but it would take more knowhow than I have to mod the chamber I think. It would still give me the massive oxygen replenishment my tank gets from it, but I dont know if I have the knowhow. Anyone know of any websites I could use? Or anyone in the Chicago area that could help me?

Back