protein skimmer

lilmatty5dimes

Reef enthusiast
What are the gains of adding a protein skimmer to a BioCube 14g? I'm going to take out the bioballs and the media filter today and was wondering. I was looking at the BioCube skimmer? Thanks lil matty

The lfs guy was telling me the other day that if I got a pack of Purigen it would be the same as a protein skimmer in the sense of cleaning the water. True or would it be better to get a HOB? Thanks lil Matty

There's no need for a protein skimmer on a tank that small. You can easily do 10-15% weekly water changes that will take care of everything for you.

Adding the purigen wont hurt anything, but it doesnt act the same as a protein skimmer. A skimmer totally removes the particles from the water before they break down, and media material are designed to remove the stuff after things break down.

Ok. finally got my protein skimmer in the mail. now i got choice to make. try and use the biocube skimmer and see how well it does for me or just put it on ebay and try and sell it. only bought it for $25 off of ebay. whats your opinions? thanks lil matty

They are fairly shit skimmers, so if you want one that does well, search for a different brand. Glad you are taking out the bioballs though.

I would probably use it, but then again, I like trying things :)

Back