Powerhead

arriel69

Reefing newb
Hello guys, Just got my 110gl up and running last night and I may need powerhead. Can someone tell me which powerehead suited for my tank. I'm planning to add some corals once tank establish.

Million thanks!!

I would recommend the Hydor Koralia's either the 1050's or 1400's. I would go with two powerheads, one for each side. If you have a sump the return from the it will add some flow so the 1050's would probably be enough.

I think the Koralia's are the way to go also. I bought the Marineland Maxi-Jets, and while they are a good value and seem to be working alright, the only problem is that the suction cups don't stay on the glass too well, you have to push them on every few days and worry about them falling off and making a sand storm (several people on this forum have had this happen). I think the Koralia is the only one with the magnet suction cup that never comes off. I bought a small one for my 20gal and it works great.

If you don't mind spending the money, the Marine Tech Vortecs are suppose to be amazing and seem to be the favorite of anybody with deep pockets. That being said, I have Koralias in my tank and then work great. I have two 1400's + 1000gph sump pump + a nano (don't know the flow maybe 400?) that I put next to my heater to increase flow over the heater.

The best, and least expensive way to go would be with a pair of Koralia 1400's. You can add their wave maker at a later date as well if you want to go that route.

Back