Powerhead need

Marines_Wife

Reef enthusiast
So I am going to get some Koralia powerheads for my reef tank. I would like to get them now so I can aquascape around them. I have a 30 gal bowfront and I believe its the Koralia 2's that I need with a GPH of about 400 I need two of them correct to get the correct flow rate?
Also what size and how many should you have in a 150 FOWLR.....My mother has this but also has the intentions of making it a reef......

The koralia 2s are 600gph ... Here's a quote from something Smitty posted about his 29g

Nope, I don't think they slow before quitting...they just up and quit. And depending on what livestock you're keeping will determine how much flow to have. I'm my 29gal, I have a koralia 1, 2, and 3, along with a maxi-jet. My 3 is behind the rockwork, the 2 is at the top making ripples, and the 1 and maxi-jet is mid level and low to the sand bed to keep particles suspended.

I have two Koralia 2's in my 30g. (36x12x16?). I have one in each corner on the back wall, blowing towards the center front glass. It's more than enough flow, but the way I have them placed it's not as random as I would like. I may get another powerhead or an mp10 in the future.

As far as a 150 fowlr, I think she would need at least four powerheads, and fairly large ones at that if she's going to turn into a reef. The more random the better.

+1 Brian and Kevin...you want to shoot for a turnover rate of at least 10X your tank volume. So for a 30 gal, you want at least 300 gph.

Some people will tell you..."if your sand ain't blowin' everywhere, then you don't have too much flow". Hahaha

I think I quite literally experienced this! I have two powerheads that have a 2300 gph flow. I didn't know what the equation was for figuring if you have enough flow, and I intend on having corals and perhaps a sponge if I have enough flow.

Anyway, I attached one powerhead aimed sort of at the surface for aeration, and life was good. Saw little things moving in the tank and thought "Great! It's working!" A day later I attached the other one and *POOF*! SANDSTORM! I wanted to avoid dead spots, but I think I went a little overboard.

Anyway, I hope 2300 gph is sufficient in a 50 gallon tank!

Back