potential uprades to my biocube...

tankedchemist

Reef enthusiast
Hey guys... so I'm getting fed up with the non-hinged state of my hood for my biocube.... it's a pain in the butt to do anything in my tank, cause I have to hold the stupid lid up with one hand. SO, I've been thinking about getting rid of the lid, and putting some eggcrate on top instead. That means upgrading the lights (which would probably make my corals happy anyway). So, here's my limitations:

- Size of tank is weird... dimensions are: 20" deep x 20" long, and 27" across the diagonal
- I can't mount the light from the ceiling b/c it's too high, and my manager probably wouldn't appreciate it

Any suggestions for some lights that would work? And/or some method to hang lights that doesn't involve the ceiling?

Also, I've got this remora pro HOB skimmer sittin' around doing nothing... could i use it in my system?

thanks in advance :)

Thanks everyone. I don't really thing MH is feasible for my tank... just running PCs makes the tank run hot already, even with both hinged bits open in the front & back. MH's would only make it worse. Thanks D French, that looks like it might work pretty well... plus it's the same brand my LFS uses for most of the coral tanks so I would't have to photoacclimate anything :)

Thanks everyone. I don't really thing MH is feasible for my tank... just running PCs makes the tank run hot already, even with both hinged bits open in the front & back. MH's would only make it worse. Thanks D French, that looks like it might work pretty well... plus it's the same brand my LFS uses for most of the coral tanks so I would't have to photoacclimate anything :)
For some reason I thought you said you wanted MH, but after reviewing your post, I think I was just reading what I wanted to read. T5's are probably your best choice in your circumstances! Get them and let's see some pics!

Yes sir! Actually, I have to wait for payday anyway. :)

SO, anyone know how feasible it is to use the remora pro HOB skimmer with the cube?

yes you are! thank you for your original response-- I wasn't sure if putting the remora on there would be ridiculous overkill or might work. I think I'll try it, thanks to your advice :)

Here's your options for lighting on the BC29:

nano tuners.com - Mail them your hood they upgrade the lighting with various options including MH and send it back to you. The new lights look good in the orignal stock hood but its expensive and with the hood closed can easily cause over-heating problems.

Clip-ons - There are several MH clip-ons but most don't have moonlights. You'll have to get rid of the stock hood. See the Viper. Price is decent.

Sunpod 20 inch, 150watts -This is what I choose. Price was reasonable and it has nice LED moonlights. You have to dtich the stock hood for this. I made my own plexiglass hood and added the cooling fans sold by Dr Foster Smith. My heat problems are gone.

I hate the hood anyway, and am already having overheating problems with just the stock lighting. Now I have to decide between those 20" nova t5s or the sunpod. hmm.

Back