pods/fuge/DT

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
So I'm kinda wanting to get a Mandarin but I was worried about it not having enough pods to eat. My fuge is FULL of pods.. monster pods, but how do you get pods from the fuge to the DT? Also, if i had a mandarin, how many times a week would i have to transfer pods over from fuge to tank so it doesnt starve?

Another question, is there anything I can do to allow pods to survive better in my DT and not just fuge?

Thanks

Is your fuge and dt connected together? If so, then don't worry about it cause they're in there also...you just cant see them.

they are connected but my magdrive pump has a sponge filter on it so i doubt theres many pods going through it back to the DT, should i remove that filter? Also, the way my sump is set up is overflow box -> fuge -> skimmer -> magdrive back to DT... would pods make it through all of that back to the DT?

Im not trying to say youre not right, just giving you all the info to make sure I dont kill a fish.

In your sump, you should switch the fuge and skimmer spots...that way you have skimmer-> fuge->then return pump. And maybe you should remove the sponge, so that pods can make their way through to your dt.

its kinda late to switch now.. i was the first sump i built and theres really no way i could switch it now short of cutting out the silicone off and removing one of the baffles in order to make the section that is now the fuge bigger in order to fit my skimmer

Smitty is right, the fuge should go after the skimmer. You don't want your pods getting sucked up into the skimmer. But if you can't do that, remove the sponge from your pump.

You can also build a "pod pile" in your display tank. In a corner or somewhere discreet, pile some pieces of live rock rubble up. The gaps should be small enough that your fish can't go in and out between them. This will be a safe breeding ground for pods.

i actually just messed around with my sump a little and since im using a HOB skimmer, i put just the pump of the skimmer where my fuge was, the body of the skimmer is still in the same spot but now its in the "new fuge" so basically i have my water coming from the DT in the first section where only the pump of my skimmer is, then theres a baffle and the second compartment is now the fuge which also holds the rest of my skimmer, and then i have a tripple baffle going to the third section of sump where the pump is which now doesnt have a filter on it anymore.

hopefully it works...

Back