Placing T5s over an open top tank

Lizardgi

I used to have lizards
Alright, so I'm fairly certain I'm going to go the T5 route with this fixture:
Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures

I noticed that twice in the information it states that this is only to be used over a covered tank. Like most of us, my tank has an open top. Do I really need to be concerend about this or is this just Current covering their arse suggesting that it is only placed over a closed top tank? Thanks!

The light fixture is to be used over completely covered aquariums only.
Ensure that the fixture is placed on a tank with a glass lens as it is NOT DESIGNED for open top tanks.

I had a retrofitted T5 kit in a canopy with no problems. You will get salt creep though so try to keep the fixture clean, and not too close to the water. 12" or so from the water surface should be good.

My current fixture has glass covering the bulbs so it's easier to deal with and probably safer.

The Nova Extreme Pros come with a splash guard. It is not a problem if your tank is uncovered (most of us have uncovered tanks). It will be necessary for you to flip the lights over and wipe down the splash guard every once in a while. The salt creep that builds up will block your light over time.

Back