Pickle Jug?

Rcchanlder

Reefing newb
Ok, so i found a 5 gallon plastic pickle jug that one of the local stores were getting rid of. i Figured that if i washed it out pretty well with hot water it would be ok. It still smells like pickles. Do you guys think that there would be anything in it that could hurt the fish if i used it to mix tank water in?

If you use vinegar, it's likely to actually increase the smell of pickles... pickling is done with a mixture of brine (water + salt) and vinegar. IMO, use a base instead to clean it-- like baking soda water-- then rinse the crud out of it. That said, when you mix up your first batch of salt, if you find the pH to be lower than expected, there's probably just vinegar leftover in the plastic. Just my :twocents:

I agree. Should be fine. People make kalk out of pickling lime so I doubt it could do any harm. I know the buckets of which you speak. I worked part time at a resturant when I first started school and they had tons of 5 gal green pickle buckets. No mater how old they got or how many times oyu washed them they still had a slight smell of pickles.

I have 3 house mates and they all came back after i washed that pickle bucket out with hot water. Needles to say they werent too fond of the whole hot pickle factory smell i had goin on.

haha thats awesome. the things we do for our tanks. Before i bought my house and lived with roommates i sure got some weird looks from them from time to time at the things i was doing with differnt tank projects.

You should see the looks I get from the wife when I do something for the tank.
I got to where I just tell her "Its a reefer thang you wouldnt understand"

Back