PH Meter

imdaring

love my reef
do any of you use a PH meter?? I have a hard time keeping my PH up to normal range it runs at 7.4-7.8 and I have to keep adding reef buffer I'm looking at buying a PH meter so I can keep a constant eye on it, my other question it do you leave the probe in the water all the time or only when I test??

Looks like you got yourself covered, but I'll respond just so it does not look like your talking to yourself :D.

I read my ph with a probe working through my aqua controller. I've been using it every since I started my tank and I can't imagine not having it. I had one of those PH test kits so I tried using it a few weeks ago when I was setting up my QT tank and I came to the conclusion that the kit tests suck. At least the one I had sucked.

I think your test kit must be garbage. I don't knoe guys, isn't 7.4 like, REAL bad for reef animals? How hard would it be to actually GET your pH that low?
Is your kit expired/old? What kind are you using?

I used to use a meter, but the probe got real inaccurate and I wasn't willing to shell out the cash for a new probe. My probe right now is reading 8.6ph when 3 test kits show it's 8.2. Tried recalibrating several times w/ ph fluid, but it stays inaccurate....

if I get this probe I need a buffer solutions: phosphate (6.86pH) and borax (4.01 or 9.18pH). were can I get this cheep I have only found prices ranging from $31-$67 :dunno:

I used to use a meter, but the probe got real inaccurate and I wasn't willing to shell out the cash for a new probe. My probe right now is reading 8.6ph when 3 test kits show it's 8.2. Tried recalibrating several times w/ ph fluid, but it stays inaccurate....

I think your test kit must be garbage. I don't knoe guys, isn't 7.4 like, REAL bad for reef animals? How hard would it be to actually GET your pH that low?
Is your kit expired/old? What kind are you using?

Didnt even notice that.
Jags right.A PH that low and your animals should be dropping like flies and the sand should be dissolving.

Really I better get a new test for PH it's the same one that I alway have used and I have never had any problems with it reading low except for the last couple of months, everything in my tank looks GREAT!! anll of the test of my ppms have been excelent

Nitrate's 0
nitrites 0
amonia 0
phos. 0
KH has been 179
cal 420
my sister inlaw is coming tomorrow to pick up a shipment that we order I'll have her bring her kit with and try hers.

Didnt even notice that.
Jags right.A PH that low and your animals should be dropping like flies and the sand should be dissolving.

I've not seen an exp date on mine either.But if your is a year old,and you have no way of know how long it sat on the shelf at your LFS.I'd say its time to toss it and get a new kit.
I generally try to replace any of my kits after I've them for 6 months.Of course I've usually already used them up by then anyway.

I will do that.. I've been wondering about that I've had to rplace a few of the other test that I ran out of but still had plenty of the PH test left

Back