Ozone

daugherty

part time reefer
i was thinking about saving some money to get a ozone setup. or is it not all that important to have. all i know is that it helps to clear up the water.

I been thinking about that myself James.
I've read that it will help keep the water quality high.Maybe one of the experts will chime in on this one.

i have looked at a couple but they put out different levels and some come with the probs and controlers. i have also read that you need to have ozone safe tubing also. does that go for drain and return lines?
Ozonizers

Be very careful and very observant if you use ozone. DO NOT skimp on the ozone generator. Get a good quality generator. I bought 1 of those cheap Enaly generators from Ebay and ended up shipping it back 3 times. It worked for a few weeks then would die.
Also, do not get a generator rated bigger than your system. Even tho I used a ORP controller, the generator I used was 300mg/hr which was way too much for my 75. The controller worked properly and shut down the ozone when it was supposed to, but it dosed in such a high volume, my ORP would rise 50-75 points after the o3 was off. I stopped using it after a few months. My corals thanked me for it ;)

I have a Milwaukee ORP controller, in excellent condition and in the original box if your interested.

Last edited:
The experts are pretty much split as to the use of ozone by home aquarists. Most of the concern seems a little over board as the worries are more for the aquarists health than the danger of overdosing tanks. That would be a legitimate concern if it was not for the very small output of the ozone generators put out my manufacturers for home use. Commercial units put out hundreds and thousands as much ozone which would definitely not be safe in a living environment no matter how many safety precautions were taken. I would still say the main advantage to the home reefer would be just in the area of water clarity. And for most reefers that is easier and more cheaper controlled with carbon. The super moderators article on ozone is a good start on information on ozone. He is more on the con side, where Bob Fenner is definitely pro ozone and Anthony Calfro is pro ozone with higher concerns for ozone carry over potential problems than Fenner. I myself do not know anyone who has tried it who is not still using it. I do agree with the super moderator in that most home aquarists would probably be better off with the advantages of an orp monitor for monitoring the health of there tank systems than they would be by injecting ozone into their systems whether through skimmers for other ways now in use in the industry. A lot can be learned about better tank system set ups, maintenance and tank problems through the use of an orp monitor.

Last edited:
Back