Oxygenation question

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
I read in someone else's thread that lack of oxygenation can cause fish to go to the top of the tank gasping for air. Now I have not seen any gasping, but on first introduction of my Nassarius snails, they went straight for the top of the aquarium. Since then they have retreated but every once in a while I see one on the top edge of the tank. In addition, I noticed my one true percula clown "sleeping" in the top front corner of the tank. I thought it might be a little strange, however during the day both fish are mostly acting normal and swimming all around from the mid-high water range. I have been told that an egg crate is the way to go rather than a glass top, but I am afraid of the "jumper" factor. To help oxygenation I have my powerhead making a ripple effect on the surface water level. Do you think my fish and snails are acting normal?

Egg crate will stop most jumpers. It's a better choice than glass. It's normal for snails to sometimes hang out at the top, so I don't see anything off the bat that says you have a problem.

thanks Biffer. I was hoping you were the one to respond, being that you were the person who made me think of the possible issue.

One question: Won't an egg crate let in dust that the glass top would stop. Also wouldn't an egg crate be less of an insulation and therefore make me use more electricity watts to heat the tank and keep it constant?

Yes, you're clowns are acting normal. Especially newly introduced clowns. Sometimes its takes weeks or months for them to really get adjusted. My clowns would sleep on the top left corner of the tank right above a powerhead.

Mine is near a powerhead too. I couldn't find it one night and because it is a new fish I started to panic. Since it is black + white it was very hard to find it in the top corner.

Back