Order of operations?

graham82

Reefing newb
I'm going to pick up my live rock and sand today. Question i have is what order should I put them in the tank? I've seen all different ideas. I was hoping to have the water in the tank before I get the rock so I can put it right in when I get home. So basically is it ok to put the water in, followed by the rock, followed by the sand? Also should the temperature be the same as it will be when I add fish?

Graham,

It's easier to add like this :

1.) Put sand in.
2.) Put something on the sand (like a cup) and add the water. Pour the water on the cup to disperse so you don't create a sand storm in the water.....It will settle, but takes time if you do stir it up.
3.) Add rock.

Good Luck!

I read somewhere if you put the sand in before the rock you might have problems with it shifting later on and possibly injuring your fish or inverts. I'm probably worrying about this too much eh?

You could put the rock in first, then slowly add the sand to prevent any future shifting of the bottom rocks. This is a good idea especially if you plan on adding any burrowing animals like pistol shrimps, some gobies, etc. Otherwise you can do just like Messiah suggested.

I think it depends on your sand bed. If it is only a half inch or so, it can be done before the rock. However, I would add rock first if I was going for a deeper sand bed.

It really doesn't matter. Your tank is going to be cloudy for a couple of days once you add the water, no matter what order you do it in.

Back