opinion please

613ReefGuy

Reefing newb
Hi everyone, the gf and I are moving into our new and much bigger place very soon. Recently I have been very interested in the nano cubes, and I just came across this add
FS: 29 jbj fully equipped...

It seems like a great price, but I am just wondering if all of these cubes have sufficient lighting, or can I purchase an upgraded light somewhere? It is really my main concern, aside from the angel fish which I will probably sell to the lfs right away if it is too big, or immediately transfer to one of our bigger tanks when they are ready.

What do you guys think of this set up? What should I be concerned about? I want to basically have it as a tank for frags to be later transferred to our bigger tanks, and would like to sometime have this as a mantis shrimp tank if possible.

I appreciate any input. Lfs sells live rock here for $11/pound plus 13% tax, so......the value seems to be there if these are good set ups.

That is a good deal. The lighting is good enough for most corals. Probably not anemones, clams or SPS though. It may be large enough for the coral beauty angel. It's a pygmy angel, so it stays small.

I hope you get it!

The JBJ comes with one of three different Hood/Light combos.
That one is the CF QUAD, which is compact fluorescents.
Then they have a Metal Halide hood.
And finally they have an LED hood.

You can buy the hoods separately from the tank, but they are pricey. Like Biff said, the CF will be fine for now. But if you want to venture into sps corals, you'll probably want to look at upgrading.

Your other option is to remove the hood completely, have an open top tank (you could build a screen for the top if you are worried about jumping fish) and hang a light fixture of your choice from the ceiling.

Thank you everyone for your input, I am going to go ahead and buy it. Do you guys have input on how I should break this tank down? I assume small rubber maid containers for the water, and bags for the fish. Should I rinse the sand before setting it up again?

I am worried about making the tank cycle again with the fish already here. I also havent had a chance to see if he has any algae problems on the rocks. Should I just be looking to transport home, and set everything up immediately the way it was, or are there steps that I can take that will not harm the fish.

Thank you everyone

You can get some 5-gallon buckets from the hardware store to move everything in. I would rinse the sand before setting it up again. Or use new sand from the store.

I would get it set up as quickly as you can. If there is algae on the rocks, pull it off by hand, or use a stiff-bristled brush to clean the rocks off before you add them to the tank. As long as you keep the rocks wet, I don't think you will have a new cycle when you set it up again.

If there is no cycle that is going to happen....can I just mix water before I pick this up and only take enough water to cover the rocks in a small rubbermaid container. Once I get home...new sand, new mixed water, old rock and old water, and fish? Would that work?

Thank you Biff

You can use some of the old water to transport the rock. Then add 1/2 new water 1/2 old water when you set it back up again. Make sure, before you add the fish, that the temperature and pH of the tank are correct. If the fish have to live in a bucket for a few hours while you heat up the water, they will be fine. :)

Perfect, thank you once again Biff, I will post some pictures once I get it. If you have any nice coral suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I can transfer any coral to the 65 gallon or 110 gallon once me and the gf move and they are set up next month. Thank you :)

Back