off to bad start

dannyboy

PLUHH
I didn't realize tap water was so bad, my tank has been running for 2 days and now I don't trust the water. Should I take my loss with the salt and drain it starting over? Also, is instant ocean salt not good? I read quite a few post recommending other salt. I really wish I found you guys first!

Go a head and run a good nitrate and phosphate test in before you go through the trouble of draining it.
Even if you do decide to drain it,just do 1/2.That will save you some salt.

good advice from yote...also some declorination will help..test water quality..i wouldnt wory to much rigth now..your tank is cycling ..some parameters will fire up!!..so let it cycle for a few days then make a water change using r/o unit..good luck..keep us updated

I wouldn't worry too much about the chlorine it shouldn't be a problem when the tank is starting out because there shouldn't be any livestock. I wouldn't worry about the phosphate test either, there aren't any good ones that are cheap. Instant Ocean is fine, when you get more experience and more coral you might switch to a different salt but there are many very successful tanks that use IO. The nitrate and ammonia tests will let you know when the tank is done cycling. When you have detectable nitrates and no ammonia you will know that the tank is done cycling.

No I wouldn't change the water out if you used a water conditioner that also neutralizes heavy metals as well as chrorine.

Instant Ocean is okay for fish only.Once the IO runs out,switch to one of the better salts-Kent,Oceanic,Reef Crystals etc.

Instant Ocean is the commercial salt mix closest to real ocean water. However, an aquarium puts higher demands proportionally on its water than a reef puts on the oceans waters. Vast ocean versus little bitty tank, therefore, most other salt manufacturers use more calcium compounds (Buffers) to make up for the aquariums greater alkalinity needs/problems. Instant Ocean is steadfast in its sticking to close to an ocean mix, that and it sells huge amounts of its mix to universities and private research houses due to its near to ocean mixes. Generally aquarists just mix a different salt mix with Instant Ocean. It is usually advisable that you add buffers to RO water when using Instant Ocean mix whereas most the other major makers of salt mixes usually add extra buffers to their mixes already. Instant Ocean also makes Reef Crystals salt mix which addresses the buffer problems with its regular mix when used in Reef tanks. Unless you have a heavy live rock, coralline algae and hard coral tank the Instant Ocean issue should not be a problem for you. Personally I have been using mostly Instant Ocean since 1972. I have tried others but consistently return to Instant Ocean. I have less sediment problems with it and less problems with nitrogen and phosphorus with Instant Ocean than with the other mixes. I use Seachem Marine Buffer in very small amounts with my RO water for mixing up makeup water, even when using the water to make Kalkwasser. I adjust my alkalinity (buffering capacity) of all my make up water, not the pH. Seachem Reef Buffer adjusts your pH without generally having much impact on your alkalinity (nor does it increase alkalinity much). As far as changing water, check your phosphates and preferably use a phosphate removing pad or bag of Phosban. The only other thing you might have to worry about is a high silica content. Before you use any more tap water test it or take it to a water softener sales house and they will generally test it once for free. Also distributors of domestic water have to make public the results of the tests on their water, before and after its treated.

Merck and Hach both make good phosphate test kits but they are in the $85-100 range. At that cost a photometer at $185 doesn't look bad, and more accurate. Any college lab can run the test for you in minutes. They too will use a photo meter but it will be a $1000 plus meter. I found my Hanna photo meter at $185 more accurate than my college lab meter until I used my fresh test reagent with the college meter. The differences were even less than the differences claimed by Hanna. Good product for the price, all aquarium reef clubs should consider buying one for testing their members water. I am glad I go to a state owned University instead of private one, they actually encourage my bringing aquarium projects up to the university!

I used stress coat in all the jugs of water I filled, it says it removes chlorine and chloramines. I was more worried about maybe copper or anything else harmful like that. We have well water. The tank is no where near cycled, think I'll ride it out and try a 50% water change in a week or so. Thanks for the help, I'll have more questions a lil later.

If I were you, I'd use the water you have in there already, and just start doing regular water changes using a better water source, such as RODI water. You can get RODI water at your fish store, or the grocery store or Walmart. They sell them in bottles and you can fill your own containers from a machine. There's a possibility that the water you used contains copper. You can easily test for that using a copper test kit.

Nearly all copper in water, well, or municipal, is from leaching, pitting, corrosion, of in house plumbing lines caused by low pH. Well water is most known for the presence of fertilizers and petrroleum bi-products from surface contamination. All really pure copper fields are in Alaska and other countries. Copper is not readily removable without RO filtering, quite a bit can be removed/precipitated through use of charcoal and phosphate removers and Kalkwasser use. A safe bet (my opinion) is to do a partial water change now, and to do one every week for a few weeks. (Of course use RO water) It will make your cycle a day or two longer but it will help preserve the life of your rock and sand inhabitants.

don't stress. I filled my 125 using the hose three years ago and never used Prime or anything like that (altho I should have). You will be fine. wait to do a water change until your cycle is finished. no sense doing one while the tank is cycling

-Doc

Back