octopus and prk puffer?

zachward330

Reefing newb
i would like to put both these in a cage i was wondering if it is safe i was planning on haveing a very tall cage because octopus are usually bottom dwellers and puffers like to be everywhere, so if anyone has knowledge plesae help me on how i can do this, and where i can get an octopus to please

octopus are EXTREMELY difficult to keep and they are master escape artists so you need very tight fitting lid with weight added on

Octopi have been known to escape from a tank even if there's only a space a square inch in size. They will squeeze their whole bodies through. Because they require a special kind of tank, they are rarely (if ever) kept with other fish. Octopi really need their own tanks.

Keep in mind that octopus are expensive animals with extremely short lifespans to begin with.Your looking at close to 100 bucks for an animal that normaly dont live longer than a year.

The puffer is going to add way more bioload than i would like to see with an animal that needs perfect water quality and already produces a TON of waste. Octopus are amazing and I encourage anyone up for the challenge and being responsible about doing it to do so. If you really are set on it please please visit www.tonmo.com and read and then read some more. you will find everything you need to know about ceph care there.

how big of a tank is it? and you would have to seal the octopus from getting over to the other side really well! Especially since the octopus is going to be curious and try to get to the puffer side most likely. A porcupine puffer gets pretty big easily bigger than a full sized football. You should really either pick one or do two tanks you could possibly run them off the same sump though.

I had a small octopus a lion fish and a snowflake eel in the same tank. It was a 55G with 3 decorative corals. (this was before live rock and corals were popular) The octopus left the fish alone (which was much bigger than him) but bugged the crap out of the eel, also I had some crabs that had buried themselves in the sand they were gonners immediately. After he lost a leg to the eel he left him alone. If ignorance is bliss than I got lucky. I had an acrylic tank with openings on the top, he new they were there he just never got out. Maybe because I had the water level lower; the water line was about an inch or more down from the top, I don't know. I never had them covered and he never escaped. I wouldn't say they are strictly bottom dwellers. He would chase feeder fish around the tank; which was really cool. He also would sit on top of the power heads and stick a tenacle or two out of the opening waiting for us to give him a fish. I don't think he'd be a problem with the fish as long as the fish is bigger than he is and he's well fed. IMO

Back