Now I have a lighting question

The "T" designation on bulb only means that is the diameter of the bulb. T5 = 5/8" diameter. T12 = 1.5" diameter. Regular output T12 bulbs are fine as supplemental lighting as in for actinics or a FOWLR tank, but there are also T12 VHO which put out 110w for a 48" bulb or 160w for a 72" bulb. They have more output than a T5HO, but there are no efficient reflectors for T12's like there are for T5HO's. The reflector is what makes the bulb good.
With that being said, your retrofit HD light may end up costing as much as a real aquarium fixture once you add in the price for new ballasts, new reflectors and the proper bulbs.

I see what you mean cc. I've been looking at so far to "save" a caouple bucks it'll cost as much as a regular fixture. BUT, after looking around a bit I can create a total custom light setup for roughly the same cost so it's more or less pick your poision. I'tl be a while before lights go onto this tank anyways so I will be able to figure out exactly how I want the lighting to be. But thank you for your inputs! I really appreciate all the help and this tank is definately going to be dedicated to everyone who has been of help to me here on living reefs.

Back