Nova Pro Tank Mounted?

tcarroll

Reefing newb
I had to mount my Nova Extreme Pro onto the tank directly due to lack of overhead clearance.I put vlecro fasteners on the light to keep it from moving.Other then a little more heat build up do yall see any problem with it?The LFS said he didnt think it would be a problem,my tank is open.

Thank's

I got my Novas sitting right on top of my tank.Dont cause any heat issues at all.
So you shouldnt have any problems at all.

Thanks for the reply,i just got done speaking with Current-USA Customer Service and they are not very polite people.They strongly advised against it,and will void the warranty.Also said it shouldnt be mounted on open tanks.I am limited to head space and i guess i will have to take my chances.I mounted some velcro on the light and tank and disconnect power supply when working in tank.Although when i install it on a GFI it does kick out the GFI not sure why though.There Customer service sadi it was induced voltage.

Did your fixture come with the legs?As long as you've 3-1/2 to 4 inches between the top of the tank and light,I dont see a problem with it.
If its kicking your GFI,then either the outlet or the light ones got a problem.It shouldnt be kicking it.

Yes it came with the legs but due to limited head space i just mounted light on top of tank.Light will burn a while then kick out gfi?

I would use those legs.You need that extra space between the light and water for gas exchange.
Try plugging something else into that GFI and let it run for a while and see if it kicks.If it doesnt kick,then there is something about your light kicking it.

it does have a shield over the lights, but it is pretty thin. I just got mine and use the legs for it. I have an egg crate over my tank, but I hear that if a light is too close it can melt it. I have not felt any heat at all coming under, over, or on the sides of my unit. The top of the unit is actually cool after it was on for 10 hrs.

GFI works by comparing the current going out to the current coming back in. If the difference is just a couple 1/1000 of an amp, it will trip. Ballasts which run flourecent tubes can have a slight lag of current coming back in which is what they might be taking about when they say induced current.

You could have a very sensitive GFI or something more serious like a loose wire in the fixture. Try the light in a different GFI outlet and see if it trips that one. You might just need to have the outlet replaced. Or the fixture repaired.

Brian

Well a quick question. Was the GFI outlet recenlty installed? If it was and you are kicking it when running the lights you may also have a GFI on the breaker in your main Circuit Breaker Box where the power for that outlet goes. With two GFI's running on the circuit they will throw eachother usually it is only one that throws all of the time and not alternating. If it was recently installed and you have 2 GFI's take out either one as you only need one. I would remove the plug gfi from the wall so you have more GFI plugs then just two since that whole circuit is GFI in this case.

And another question. Why do you have limited head space? Those fixtures are not suppose to be installed under a canopy as it can cause heat issues those are for retrofit light kits only and not fixtures if your canopy is on and you still want it on you got the wrong fixture for that.

Only one GFI in line,in other words plugs into outlet,heavy duty Commercial grade GFI 3 Way outlet.

Lights are mounted on top of tank,no cover on tank.Took legs off due to limited space,plenty of air circulation.Put velcro on lights and tank.Does not seem to be heating up a whole lot.

There is the possibility that with the fixture being so close to the tank, that moisture in the air is causing a small current leak and then tripping the GFI.

Brian

Back