Noob Concerns

Munch

Reefing newb
A friend of my wife is giving us their saltwater set up which consists of a 90gal tank, all the hardware, a few fish, live rock and some corals. I had a big Chiclid tank in the past but never saltwater so I started reading all I could on here to prepare.

I have a couple of concerns that maybe someone here could help me with.

1. The tank is currently on the other side of the state and they are going to drive it here. Even if they put the fish in tubs with some of the existing tank water they aren't going to be able to bring all the existing water so... Will the fish survive having new water made and added to what they are delivered in?

2. The person who owns the tank said they only use tap water to make their saltwater but from what I have read on here so far you should only use RO water. I am on a well with a water softener and not excited about having to buy RO water for evaporation and water changes. Is this something I should just accept or is the tap water ok?

I expect that the fish and everything will die after we get the tank and I will be starting from scratch but maybe I am wrong. What do you think?

I'm totally a newb at this but I transported a 55 ga tank this week to my house (bought off CL!) and I kept as much water as possible. All my fish and corals survived the trip. So far...lol.

Most people I have talked to do a partial water change every week anyway so adding water probably won't be a big deal if done properly.

As far as the RO system goes, tap water isn't best case but if it's that or no water I'd say it's ok. I am planning on getting a RO system soon but cannot swing the investment ATM. My question would be if it makes any difference that you are on a well instead of getting water from a utility district.If it's de-chlorinated it may not have the additional contaminates that regular tap water would have.

Don't take my word though, I've been at this for a whole three days!

Yeah, can't you convince them to transport more of the water?

I wouldn't trust well water, but I think a couple of people here use their well water successfully. Hopefully they will chime in.

On your end, you should have new saltwater prepared. Transporting the sand will stir it up, so maybe you should buy new sand to repalce the old. Hopefully with the live rock, you won't go through any cycles, but there might be some die off anyway and cause a cycle. It's tricky. The fish should be fine in the buckets for a while as long as you keep it heated and keep the water moving w/ a powerhead. Stick a few live rocks in there to provide nitrifying baceria.

Someone should chime in soon with better ideas :D

Actually, being on well water could be worse than on city water. I am assuming that you are living in a rural area. Most likely by farms. The fertilizer could supply high phosphates and nitrates also, there could be heavy metals and other dissolved solids from being trapped in the earth. Also, you say that you have a water softener. That might remove some contaminants, but might add others from the salts that you use in the softener.

IMO, I would invest in an RO unit. They really do pay for themselves in a short time. Like months. I got my unit from BRS. They might be more expensive than other places, but their customer service is top notch.
Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Supplies - Bulk Reef Supply

You should really filter your well water better. Ro is the best but anything in addition would be very helpful. If you dont have or cant get ro water or distilled is just to expensive then use prime and some sort of carbon filtration on the water. Carbon should reduce or take out any chemicals in the water and prime will help with the rest. Its the best water conditioner out there and wont mess with a skimmer. There are as many ways to do this as there are people some are just harder then others.

Thanks for all the quick replies.

I'll try to have some water made up before it gets here and will buy water while I research some filtering options.

The person had the tank going for about 2 years and said they have moved it once before without incident. I guess I'll just let them set it up here and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that I have to start from scratch which wouldn't be that bad anyhow. Selecting all the hardware and fish along with setting it up and making it work is the most fun for me.

For the time being, RO water is cheap at Walmart. I pay $.85 a gallon for it from Walmart. Your tank is large so that's a pretty big expense I guess. I know the Weiss supermarket near me sells it for $.35 a gallon as well but you need to have a container to put it in and I don't have access to that, personally.

I would not use any tap water at all from this point out for every reason mentioned above.

You can get a good RODI unit for around $150. It really saves money in the long run to just make your own water. Not to mention, you avoid the inconvenience of having to buy water, store all the containers, and lug it back and forth from the store.

Hello and welcome!!

+1 to everyone...

I'd get an RODI unit as soon as you can...

You should also have the water made already when the tank arrives. Newly made saltwater is very caustic and harm the fish and corals. 24 hours mixing is standard.

Back