Non live coral options

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Okay, except for one colony of Zoas, I'm not having much luck with corals. My two Brain coral frags haven't made it. On turned brown anf I took it out. The other is doing anything but flourishing. I may pull it out too as it is not looking good. My Yellow Polyp colony looked great.....until it was eaten by an unknown predator. This "no-see-um" is now focusing on one of my Zoa colonies. My mushrooms seem fine but that's about all.

I am NOT happy about this! I have done the red light thing. Spent the better part of 20 hours, on and off, looking for something....ANYTHING....to no avail. So, for now at least, I'm giving up on live corals. Going to go back to a FOWLR tank until I have more experience.

So my question is, what can I add for color? I know many don't like fake corals in their tanks. Chance of leaching junk into the water. Some are fine with doing it as long as the quality is good. So, to them I ask, what should I look for?

Okay, I'm not asking, though I thank you for your concern, about growing corals better. I know you only are asking to help out. If you must know, then:

pH 8.2
SG 1.026
Nitrate 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Ammonia 0.0
Calcium 420
Phosphate tests positive via API kit. (.25) AND I am running a Phosban 150 with Phosban. It has tested, within minutes of each other, positive and negative.
Temp is 79.6 to 80.4 f.
Lights are 2 10,000k and 2 actinic t5's plus 1 48" blue/white led, 1 12' blue led and 1 blue/magenta led. Likely I need more light but its not going to happen any time soon. 10,000k were changed to new on April 15. Actinics are due this month.
Tank is a standard 90 (89.3 gallons) gallon with a 20 gallon sump(14.7 gallons water in sump)
Mid depth sand bed using white and pink caribbean sand.
90 lbs rock in tank, 50 lbs in sump.
Skimmer and Phosban 150 running carbon in sump.(one week on, one week off.)
7" rectangular filter bag in sump. 1 week on, one week off.
Water has been RODI from day one. 470 ppm in. 9 ppm RO. 0.0 ppm DI.
Water changes of 15 gallons are done every 5 days.
Instant Ocean Reef Crystals salt.
Turnover with power heads and return, accounting for head loss, is 26x per hour. Likely I need more flow also. Again, not happening any time soon.

Besides my failing to have coral thrive, I have not been happy with the colouration of what I have been seeing. It all seems to be a various shade of brown. My Mushrooms are a nice green, and the Zoas do have bright green on them but that's just not all I'm looking for. I have very nice purple coralline growing and would like to have something to contrast it. In the long run....for ME.... its going to be cheaper to put in substitute coral than to risk live coral. I don't like the idea of things dying in my tank. My fault or not.

Last edited:
I know you aren't asking, but I'm gonna ask anyway - have you gotten all of your coral from the same LFS? If so, you might want to try just one piece from somewhere else before you give up entirely, since their stock might be bad...

Another thought - I've had some trouble with my zoas as well and attribute this to a combination of my emerald crab not getting enough food through target feeding, having a large population of isopods/anthropods in my tank that are eating them, one frag having two types on it that were stinging each other, and my placing a few of them too close to the lights. I've since been spot feeding my emerald crab much more frequently, added a small six-line wrasse to take care of the isopods, and will be more conscientious about where I place zoas with respect to light and flow. I share all of this just in case one of these things may help you (particularly thinking of the iso/anthropods that were eating my corals).

I personally think it is really hard to find something to substitute for live coral. I know its frustrating, but I'm not sure you should throw in the towel yet, it just sounds like you haven't quite found the source of the problem. Your parameters and equipment are adequate. Hang in there!

Okay, I'm not asking, though I thank you for your concern, about growing corals better. I know you only are asking to help out. If you must know, then:

pH 8.2
SG 1.026
Nitrate 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Ammonia 0.0
Calcium 420
Phosphate tests positive via API kit. (.25) AND I am running a Phosban 150 with Phosban. It has tested, within minutes of each other, positive and negative.
Temp is 79.6 to 80.4 f.
Lights are 2 10,000k and 2 actinic t5's plus 1 48" blue/white led, 1 12' blue led and 1 blue/magenta led. Likely I need more light but its not going to happen any time soon. 10,000k were changed to new on April 15. Actinics are due this month.
Tank is a standard 90 (89.3 gallons) gallon with a 20 gallon sump(14.7 gallons water in sump)
Mid depth sand bed using white and pink caribbean sand.
90 lbs rock in tank, 50 lbs in sump.
Skimmer and Phosban 150 running carbon in sump.(one week on, one week off.)
7" rectangular filter bag in sump. 1 week on, one week off.
Water has been RODI from day one. 470 ppm in. 9 ppm RO. 0.0 ppm DI.
Water changes of 15 gallons are done every 5 days.
Instant Ocean Reef Crystals salt.
Turnover with power heads and return, accounting for head loss, is 26x per hour. Likely I need more flow also. Again, not happening any time soon.

Besides my failing to have coral thrive, I have not been happy with the colouration of what I have been seeing. It all seems to be a various shade of brown. My Mushrooms are a nice green, and the Zoas do have bright green on them but that's just not all I'm looking for. I have very nice purple coralline growing and would like to have something to contrast it. In the long run....for ME.... its going to be cheaper to put in substitute coral than to risk live coral. I don't like the idea of things dying in my tank. My fault or not.

Excellent info. Phosphates 0.25 ppm will start killing some stony corals.

I have not been able to get a reliable phosphate test. Its really aggravating too. I've about given up on even testing for it. I guess I could try different food, but I really like the ease of use of the Sally's frozen. I do rinse it, after thawing, in DI water before putting it in the tank. My guys are ferocious eaters and they eat nearly all of it. My meager CUC takes care of the rest. Not sure this is an issue with the phosphates or not. I'll just keep the phosban running until I figure out a good phosphate test.

I have gotten all of my corals at one LFS. I really trust these guys. It the only FS I have been in that will refuse to sell items due to compatibility issues and/or inexperience. They are not afraid to tell you either! All of theirs look great in store. I did notice that the big display aquariums are a mix of artificial and real corals.

There are 3 other FS around the area. One I completely refuse to shop in again. They are the worst kind of people for this hobby. They will sell anything to anyone for any reason. Most of my equipment came from them as did two of my fish. I have learned a LOT since then though!

One store specializes in fish. He has no corals for sale. He knows his stuff when it come to fish though. The place looks like a dump, but his care for the fish is unimpeachable.

The last store is highly recommended by a fresh water hobbyist I know. It is WAY out of the way for me though. Two hours in Atlanta traffic if you hit the times wrong or *gasp* there is road work. I might take a trip over there anyway. Just to see.

It doesn't sound like feeding is the source of your phosphates - my guess is that they are leaching out of your rocks. Phosphate tests are notoriously unreliable, but you are already running a phosban reactor. The only other suggestion I have for phosphate issues is this thread that I came across on RC: Pukani Rock leacing PO4 like mad - Reef Central Online Community Read through the whole thread - they devised a method using a phosphate remover from a pool/spa supply place that seemed to have worked extremely well for several people. I don't know if I would try that myself, but I thought I'd pass along the info anyway since others seem to have had a good experience with the product.

The only other question I have is how are you light acclimating your corals when you add them to your tank?

Excellent info. Phosphates 0.25 ppm will start killing some stony corals.

+1

It doesn't sound like feeding is the source of your phosphates - my guess is that they are leaching out of your rocks. Phosphate tests are notoriously unreliable, but you are already running a phosban reactor. The only other suggestion I have for phosphate issues is this thread that I came across on RC: Pukani Rock leacing PO4 like mad - Reef Central Online Community Read through the whole thread - they devised a method using a phosphate remover from a pool/spa supply place that seemed to have worked extremely well for several people. I don't know if I would try that myself, but I thought I'd pass along the info anyway since others seem to have had a good experience with the product.

The only other question I have is how are you light acclimating your corals when you add them to your tank?

+2 to your last question and as far as "dead" rock leaching phos, this is why alot of reefers choose to give "dead" rock a acid bath.

Besides you phos everything seems fine. How old are your test kits?

Back