New To Hobby

tcarroll

Reefing newb
Hello All,
I am new to the hobby and getting ready to purchase my first setup.I have been looking at the BioCube 29 and was told by the person at the fish store that i can have it up and running for around $525.Now the question i have is are they good systems for begiiners or should i buil one from scratch?

Thank's

Tim

welcome to living reefs. actually, a nano can be more challenging to keep than a larger system. there's less water volume therefore much you will have much faster evaporation, and less room for error, and larger temperature swings. what makes them a good system is that you get everything you need in one box.

Thank's for the welcome and the reply.

I guess thats why i was kinda looking at the biocube.If i decided to build my own system what would i need to basicaly start it up.Are there any good book that tell you what and how to go about it.I had freshwater aquariums before but now i want to enture into the saltwater systems.I know i will love it,so i really would rather start out on the right foot,but start up budget is an issue too.

Those Bio-Cubes are good systems and a 29 gallon isnt going to be as tough to maintaine as say a 12 or 15 gallon.
Welcome to the reef BTW.

As far as the books go I have been recommended, The Conscientous Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner, should be here this week just nabbed it off ebay for 15 bucks.

Also check out the "Helpful Articles" section up at the top here.

If you decide to buy that system, figure you'll need 30 to 60 lbs of live rock, which runs anywhere from $5/lb to $15/lb. Or you can buy base rock, which is cheaper, and then seed it with live rock to save money.

I want to say how overwhelmed i am at the response and advice i am getting.I am really looking forward to this new hobby,as i currently have an outdoor pond that i built myself a couple years ago.It is pretty easy to maintain,have goldfish and koi in it.Thank's again guy's and girl's for all the responses.

No problem! We like helping. Nobody on here is mean or condescending like some people have experienced on other sites. We're all cool and friendly because we were all newbies at one point, and we have all made mistakes.

By far the best forum Ive found on the subject, they are all useful but the personalities here make it the best,

I looked into a bio-cube 29G decided I wanted a larger tank and then did some measurements in the house and still wound up with a 29G tank. One of the main reasons I went with a regular tank is I didn't want the black stand and tank, and lfs was having a sale on fish equipment. Otherwise I would have gone with the bio-cube since it's an all in one.

Good Luck To You !!! This Forum Is Awesome! Everyone Here Will Try To Help You Out With All Your Question !!

Welcome to the forums.
I have this 24 gal. tank.
24G Nano Cube Deluxe, Aquarium Systems | Pet Solutions

I would have gone bigger but its in my dorm room at school. I will eventually go bigger though. I have had my system up and running since the beginning of january. Ive had some tough times but made it and it looks great. I have 18 lbs of live rock and 10 lbs of base rock.
I just put in my first coral yesterday and its getting usto the system. Ive had 2 clowns in there for about 4ish weeks and a royal gramma.
If you have any questions just pm me.
Welcome!

Well i did it,i decided not to go with the Bio Cube and instead got a 90 gallon tank,in the process of getting ready to set it up.Been reading Marine Aquarist and local Fish store has been real helpful.Hopefully i will be ready to put water in it this week end.I do have a few questions now thoug,i see there are some places on internet where you can buy live rock cheaper then what i can get it in my local fish store?Is this good rock or should i buy it local?

Good choice I think you'll be happier in the long run. There are a lot of different places you can get live rock online, tell us what your looking at.

Back