new tank!!!

biodarwin

Reefing newb
Today I stopped by the LFS for the first time and asked if they had any used equipment. They had a 55 gallon rectangular tank, 10 lbs of live rock, xlbs of sand(Cant remember), protein skimmer, HOB filter, one heater, and stand for $350 cash. Basically an old lady died, her husband was unable to keep up with 8 aquariums and had to get rid of the one with the most upkeep. Im pretty dead set on it so far. The setup is cycled and has been established for 2-3 months. This particular system had a porcupine puffer swimming around in it.

The guy at the LFS said I would need upgraded lighting and a powerhead before I could do any corals. This is fine by me, I want to get the fish situated and to let the tank run for 6 months before I start adding coral. I was getting ready to buy a 29 biocube or something to that effect before I discovered this deal. Would I be stupid to pass this up?

It's a pretty good deal. You're gonna need at least 40lbs. more Live rock. The lights you're gonna need for corals will run you at least $400 new. So yeah $350 puts you pretty close especially since it's been established for over 2 months already. I'd go for it. Good luck!

Not to bad of a deal. Seeing you don't plan on corals for awhile it'll give you tie to save up for better lighting. What kind of protein skimmer? I would just buy some base rock and use the LR already in the tank to seed it.

I did buy the tank today. I went ahead and bought another 20lbs of live rock. I figure 20 more lbs of base rock after that and I am set.

Back