New Tank setup

tubz

Reefing newb
I am setting up a second tank which is a 30 gallon. I don't have my rock for it yet. If I rinse my sand and put it in the tank and fill the tank with water will it start cycling with just the sand in there? And when I add the rock it will go through another cycle? I have the sand sitting here for a couple weeks and am getting tired of looking at it in the bags and a bare tank.

It may start cycling - but adding live rock afterwards may cause a second cycle

The other reason you would not want to do this is that if the sand is added before the rocks, you increase your chances of a rock slide with burrowing critters, or as the aragonite sand slowly breaks down as it acts as a ph buffer. Rock first, then sand

did you get live sand?
are you using dry rock if it is live sand?
if your going to add live rock to it while cycling I don't see any problem with it i did that. to an extent. I had done a dry rock rubble base for where I would be placing the larger Live Rock. But around the base stations I filled the tank with sand just enough for the tops of that rubble to show. witch was about 2in. in a 28g bowfround. I did this to help prevent rock slides from flow and my critters digging at the base points.

Sorry I went off track there....

But yeah when I did this I had no issue with a recycle at any point by adding rock to a new tank or adding more rock to the tank. But every body's tanks act different to every kind of change.

I got one bag of live sand and the other is aragonite sand. I plan on getting dry rock from marco rocks and if need be I can use a piece or two from my 90 gallon tank.

Last edited:
Tubz, you might wanta try reefrocks.net They are an awesome company and have way cheaper prices than anybody else.. The owner Steve is an Excellent guy and will do you a custom order for no extra charge. Tell him Justin sent ya he will hook you up

Back