New Tank Setup ??

WWS

Reefing newb
I am new to salt water tanks I have a few qestions.

I have set up my tank with the salt water and live rock base. I let it sit for 24hrs before testing the water for nitrate, nitrite, pH, and ammonia, which none was present. Today I added live rock. Here are some questions.

1. I have some dead coral I found in hawaii that I want to add to my tank. What do I have to do to condition it for the tank??

2. How often should I test the water now that I have live rock in the tank??

3. How long until I add creatures?? Fish, hermet crabs, snails, live coral.

4. How often should I change water in the tank, and should I start keeping salt water available now for the changes??

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I am new to salt water tanks I have a few qestions.

I have set up my tank with the salt water and live rock base. I let it sit for 24hrs before testing the water for nitrate, nitrite, pH, and ammonia, which none was present. Today I added live rock. Here are some questions.

1. I have some dead coral I found in hawaii that I want to add to my tank. What do I have to do to condition it for the tank??I'm not 100% sure what is the best way.The best thing is to not put it in the tank,who knows what pollutants could be on them.But if you must,this is what I seen many do to clean dead coral decorations.Clean the dead coral in a bucket of tapwater and a few drops of bleach,soak overnight.Then pour that water out and add freshwater,some tapwater conditioner to remove the chlorine,let sit for a couple hours to make sure the chlorine is remove,add decor to tank.

2. How often should I test the water now that I have live rock in the tank??I would test SG/salinity everyday,Ammonia,nitrite,nitrate, and PH every 3-4 days while its cycling.I test once a week afterward or the next day after getting a new fish.

3. How long until I add creatures?? Fish, hermet crabs, snails, live coral.When the cycle is complete...once ammonia and nitrite spike and return to zero,usually 2-6wks.

4. How often should I change water in the tank, and should I start keeping salt water available now for the changes??Once the cycle is done than that would be best time to do your first water change.Some people do weekly water changes and others monthly,heck some even longer than that.Generally 10 weekly or 25% monthly.In time,you will figure out whats best for your particular setup.

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the site.I tend to sometimes get others confuse and myself.So if you have anymore ??? feel free to ask.

Yep,Reefs covered those.

How long have you had that piece of dead coral?If its only been a short time,then I would boil it first,then clean as Reef already stated.

I used to set dead coral out in the sun to dry out for a couple weeks. Then any crusties or pieces of dried stuff will just flake off or can be blown off with pressurized air.

Dry it out and then knock the flakes off with some air.

Then boil and bleach it.

Back