New tank help.

chaosfinity

Got Kalk?
I just got a 100 gallon lobster tank for $150 that has a chiller and ?UG Filter?. The undergravel filter i dont think is a filter it pulls the water down through rocks that have charcoal in them and through the chiller coils, then it comes back up through two clear pipes with bubble stones in them that come up and fill into a troth with a filter that is wrapped around more charcoal and that goes back into the tank. Currently there is a cover over the top of the rock so the bottom is just plastic with vent holes. What I would like to know is how can i set this tank up to be a reef tank since it is a bare lobster tank? I can put up some pictures if needed to explain what it is but im sure you will know what im talking about.

Yeah ago ahead and post some pics,I like to see the lobster and system.

If you want to go reef,I think you will have to get rid of the lobster and definitely get rid of the UGF.You will need aragonite sand,live rock,good water movement provided by powerheads/circulation pumps,good lights and a skimmer.Your may not need the chiller but may need heaters instead.Still, a chiller would be great if you plan on running metal halides.That pretty much covers the basics,I do like to add that a sump/refugium would be nice to but isn't totally necessary.

I was sitting around tonight planning out how to set up this tank and I was trying to figure out a reason not to get rid of the expensive chiller system. I think my dad can get the chiller to work like a home air-conditioner and make the chiller work as a heat pump and heat the tank by putting hot freon through the coils instead of cooling it first, and in turn it will cool my room :). Maybe this could fight the heat of the lamps in the room and have a purpose. The only problem is the coils are at the bottom of the fiberglass tub so the water Has to be drawn down somehow, would it be worth it to try and pipe up over the sand and pull the water down through so it does not pull water through the sand?

Sleepless night lol, i took measurements of the tank in compartments and added up the value to 118 gallons top to bottom of the tank. Also, my nature to not pay attention when i get excited about something someone has been in the bottom of this tank before, the pump is missing from the bottom along with the tubing that goes over to the two riser pipes, you can probably see the two holes close to eachother one on the bottom and one on that divider, the divider is where the tubing should have been.

Hi, some thoughts / questions:

Most people battle to keep their tanks at a stable temperature during the summer, buying a chiller as a last resort due to the cost. Your chiller is probably the most valuable part of your purchase - I would try to keep it (not turn it into a heater - they are relatively cheap)

1) I would get rid of all the carbon / filter media from the system and focus on water circulation to start with.

2) If you had this set up as intended (using the undergravel filter), can you figure out how you would be able to get into the lower compartment (where the chiller coils are I think) to clean in there? Would you have to 'lift' the entire sand bed out?

3) If the answer to three is yes, then you need to find another way to set this up (further Q's below) - keeping the system free of debris is vital to a healthy system. I would consider some of the possibilities below (bearing in mind it is quite difficult to make suggestions without being able to inspect the tank itself:

4) Is the green tubing the chiller coil? (I will assume it is) - depending on you finla choice of setup, I would re-route the chiller coils so that they chill the returning water in whatever closed loop system you end up with - ie by coiling within / around the return pipe???

5) Option: don't use the false floor 'under gravel filter' and lay sand directly into the base of the tank. I'm not sure how deep that white section is, but you could experiment with a really deep sand bed that brings the sand upto the base of the glass, of put in the standard couple of inches and accept the fact you will be able to see a plastic rim (not ideal I'm sure)

6) Option: seal off the base section with a new tank floor at the same level as the base of the tank (using a piece of tempered glass, appropriate thickness and silicon seal it in place)

7) Option: maintain current configuration, except replace the slotted 'false' floor with a solid floor (so that water does not get pulled through the sand), then treat it as the base of te tank (as in 6 above) but cut holes in it as if it were a 'pre-driller' tank setup, build an overflow box around these holes and set it up as any pre-drilled overflow systme would be. The difference here is that the water would overflow down to the bottom section, get chilled, then be pumped back up to the tank again. Again - this has the question of how you get into this lower section to clean / maintain pumps etc....

Just some ideas...

Sealing off the bottom does sort of sound like a good idea then i could modify a little and make the bottom section a removable sump tank. What i meant by turning the chiller into a heat pump is that it is reversible with a thermostat so it would automatically heat if needed or cool. I would have to relocate the coils to do this but i like your ideas thanks alot!

Back