new setup checklist

DavidA717

Soon to be Reef Expert
I am starting a 30 gallon salt tank and I was wondering if i have everything i need:
30 gallon tank/stand
Protein Skimmer
130w light
live rock/sand
3 powerheads
heater
filter
hydrometer
salt mix

anything else i need?

Three powerheads will probably be a bit much... Try them out and if the current is too strong, I'd stick with one or two.

Don't forget your test kits! At the least, you should buy pH, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Phosphate is recommended if you start having algae problems. If you are planning on keeping corals, get a calcium test too. I think that Salifert is the best test kit brand, but they are pretty expensive. API and Red Sea are cheaper and do pretty well also.

When you get fish, I'd also recommend not feeding them flakes or pellets. I used to feed these types of foods, and my nitrates and phosphates got out of control. I switched to feeding frozen food only, and the problem was solved.

For inital set up, ya might want to get yourself a carpenters level also. You really need for the tank and stand to be perfectly level so that excess stress won't placed a particular side, which, as you can imagine, could lead to a huge mess.

Placing a sheet of styrofoam under the tank before you fill it up will help automatically level it...but you still might have to do some tweaking.

Dont for get some good food grade 5 gallon buckets,you'll need those from time to time for water changes and such.
Biffs already got you covered on test kits and fish food.

Back