New Live Rock

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
I picked up my new rock today! Craigslist special. I've been waiting for this guy to get his tank emptied for 2 weeks. I bought 180lbs. of rock...Put about 130 in my DT..about 20 into my sump and gave my nephew the rest for helping me carry it.

Now I know what everyone kept talking about w/critters in the rock..I only had about 40lbs of rock until today, and I didn't have anything crawling out of it....I also inherited the 4 legged starfish that you see in the bottom right hand side...I didn't really want him, but if I didn't take him he was going to meet his certain death. And I've got about 20 little starfish 1/2 the size of my fingernail, they were hiding in the rock. My water is still real cloudy. So all in all it was a good day. Here's a before and after.

Attachments

• Tank wnew rock.webp
    Tank wnew rock.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 708
  • rockpile.webp
    rockpile.webp
    42.8 KB · Views: 420
ooo I forget what they call those little white starfish but some can really take over a tank and become a pest.

Thats some real nice rock placement there. Very nice looking!

You gotts be kidding me..about the white starfish...So I guess I'll start sucking them out of the tank.

I can't say for sure they are bad but if my memory serves right they aren't good. I don't think they eat corals or anything just multiply really fast. Hopefully someone with more exp with em will get on here soon

I wouldn't kill the stars till you know for sure what they are. It sounds like they are asterinas. The 5 leg variety are just fine and you can leave them. If you get any with 6 or 8 legs then they are not reef safe. Either way, there is a possibility that they could over populate but there are a number of simple ways to deal with them. I'd keep them and just deal with them if they get out of hand. Then again, I really like stars.

Here are some pics...I've also got a CRAZY lookin spider/crab looking thing. He looks like he has fur on him..His legs are white with dark stripes, and he' got a tan body that looks to be sectioned off kinda like a turtle shell. I cna't get a pic because he won't come close enough, but he looks a little creepy! Alot creepy. T

The stars are on the glas of the tank...Sorry for crappy pics.

Attachments

• star2.webp
    star2.webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 242
  • star1.webp
    star1.webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
They reproduce like mad and some of em are reported to eat soft corals. I got one in as a hitchhiker on some Zoos and he was promptly removed. Even if they dont eat the corals your glass will be covered with em very quickly. Also better safe than sorry.

Ha ain't that cute....See ya starfish.

Any idea what my creepy spider lookin thing might be? (read previous post) The SOB disappeared I can't get a pic of him.

Asterina stars are usually reef safe -- in fact, they eat film algae. I have tons of them in both my tanks. The 5-legged, 6-legged and 7-legged + ones are no different from each other. Some of them have reportedly eaten corals, but I've never noticed that in any of my tanks.

You just bought the little fella's a stay of execution. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt because you said so...I just came back down here to terminate them! I'll cut them some slack.

I found a ricordea too...Kinda beat up. but maybe he'll heal up.

I'm still pondering it...Don't tell Biff...Do you know where there might be a list of some kind that has pics of ALL marine crabs, inverts....I'm still trying to identify that creepy ass spider/crab thing in my tank....It's driving me crazy.

that creepy spider crab sounds like an arrow crab. You got a pic of him? Also I hear mantis shrimp eat those starfish

But why would you want to add a mantis shrimp to your tank? Harlequin shrimp will eat them. But they only eat starfish. So once the starfish are gone, they starve to death.

Back