need advice poll

how long to wait

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

andersoned14

Reefing newb
Wondering what everyone thinks. I had ich in my DT, so I removed the fish and treated them in the QT. The fish look good now, and I'm wondering when to put them back in the DT. (this is first time I have tryed to post a poll so bare with me)
4 weeks
5 weeks
6 weeks
7 weeks
8 weeks
right now there are no fish in DT, only inverts

Not sure what you treated with, I've come to the conclusion that 4-6 weeks is an average based on what i've read. Generally the longer the better though.

It's not the fish in the QT that need the extended time. Enough time to let the parasites in your DT die off is needed to prevent reinfestation. Recommended time for your DT would be 6-8 weeks from everything I read. Personally, I'd rather take the extra two weeks to prevent having to do 6 more somewhere down the line.

I would keep the fish out of the DT for a total of 8 weeks. That is the life cycle of Ich. From egg to adult. They need a fish host to survive. So once 8 weeks is over, there should not be any ich left in the tank. Kep them out 10 to be 100% sure. Also QT all your fish before adding them to your tank just to be sure.

:bounce:well it seems like it is going to be 8 weeks which isn't to bad because that falls on my birthday weekend. Happy Birthday to me and my fish!!!

People have done everything that you have done and somehow mysteriously ended up with ich in there tank soon after the end of quarantine. I believe frozen marine foods are a source ich. Some vendors have actually sold "gamma irradiated food" to kill parasites. I feed my fish frozen blood worms (from a fresh water source), pellets, flakes and sushi roe.

People have done everything that you have done and somehow mysteriously ended up with ich in there tank soon after the end of quarantine. I believe frozen marine foods are a source ich. Some vendors have actually sold "gamma irradiated food" to kill parasites. I feed my fish frozen blood worms (from a fresh water source), pellets, flakes and sushi roe.

There is also a strain of ich floating around from place to place that is highly resistant to copper treatment. So who knows. But better to take what precautions you can to keep it out as best as possible AND keep the health of your fish top notch.

Back