My new light question

Piratefish

SPS Freak
I just set up my new Tek elite 6x54 and its hanging from the ceiling. How far should it be from the top of the tank? Its currently at 4"

Also how do I set the blubs up? I have 3 ATI aquablue+ 1aquablue special 1GE 6500k and 1 Fiji purple

Last edited:
You can raise it up a little bit more. You want to be able to get your hands in and stuff easily to feed. I think 6" to 8" is pretty common.

You have a Tek light 6 bulb on that 55???? You'll burn anything close to the top. You should consider going to the 4 bulb. Thats a lot of light.......raise it up for sure.

It depends on the bulbs you use, I just know someone who had that light on a 75 and he changed to the 4 bulb, the 6 is now on a 120. In answer to your question of height, the brackets that came with, legs, were about 4-6" off the water, if that helps you. He had 6 wht bulbs and 2 blue. I'm sure if he changed that to 3 and 3 it would have been much better.

You have a Tek light 6 bulb on that 55???? You'll burn anything close to the top. You should consider going to the 4 bulb. Thats a lot of light.......raise it up for sure.

Huh?Really?

Use the blue plus as actinics even though they're not.Have them come on at least an hour before the daylights and one hour after the daylights goes out.About 6-8'' is about right.

Back