My anti "IRS" 300 gallon build

Man. My midget legs could totally swim laps in that ocean! Great set up :D How's the miracle mud working out for you? I have some in my fuge, but if I could do it again, I'd skip the mud, and just do rubble and sand. You're supposed to replace 20% of it every year or so.

I am with you there. I dont think I will keep it once it is time to replace. I am not going with mangrove anymore so there is really no use for it.

Holy mated pair!!! They wont leave each others side.

IMG_3158.jpg

Sure, I will have one this week, I will wait until I have the halides on so it looks better. The tank is still pretty baron in regards to coral right now. I am getting some more goodies this weekend so that will help fill some space. Thanks again for all the great comments. I still wish I had the smaller tanks back because this is getting overwhelming at times. It feels like the tank is keeping me, not the other way around.

Gee, now I'm thinking I should have waited to buy a new tank. Yours makes my 55 look like a 10. Great job. I think I'll start saving my money for a bigger house so I can have a bigger tank.

Hi all. Hope everyone is doing great. I have been doing a lot of reading posts here but not much posting yet. I found a lot of intersting posts and have had a few questions answered for me so, all is good.
Well here are a few new toys. 5 branch frogspawn about 9 inches across, an ORA birdsnest and a pocillopora.

IMG_3168.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

Looks awesome! i love the pics your kid in the tank!

But, your rocks should be on the glass not the sand to prevent rock slides

My eel keeps knocking the rocks down and I'm worried that some day he's going to get hurt. The problem is that my tank is not against a wall, you can look into it from both sides so it wouldn't look wright having the rocks against the wall. What do you think?

Build PVC structures, drill holes in the rocks and tie strap them to the rocks...not only could this spell certain disaster for your eel, and your fish...But there have been plenty of cases where a rockslide went right through the tank wall.

Nobody wants 300g of awesomesauce on the living room floor.

It's not hard to build the PVC structures..and you can do some neat formations because of them.

Do you want to take that chance? I wouldn't...You have 300g of water dying to get onto your living room floor.

As far as I know there is no way to join rocks together with glue...You either strap it to PVC or you use threaded rods.

Here's a link to Marcorocks, with some of their aquascaping supplies.
Aquascape supplies

http://marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=49

Here's my tank, the rocks are held together by PVC and tie-straps.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J45xriQxZe8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]YouTube - PVC Aquascaping[/ame]

Last edited:
My father said he heard that you can glue the rocks together with a glue gun. Is there any truth to this?

You can use a two-part epoxy to glue the rocks together but, if you ever want to change your rockscape or need to move your rocks around for some reason, then you just screwed yourself.

You make the PVC structure the way you want it to look. (don't glue them) Use Elbows, Tee's and short pieces of 1/2 or 3/4 pipe depending on how big or rocks you're using. form a base with the PVC so that it will sit on the bottom of the tank nicely, and build it up toward the top of the tank. It's really quite easy.

And then you simply get a bag (or in your case 9 bags:D) of tie straps..

You can either drill holes into the rocks, or in most cases, your rocks have enough natural holes in them to push a tie strap through it, and hold it securely. Then you simply wrap the PVC pipe with rocks..

It's easy, fun., and durable as hell.

You'll love the look of it, especially for a double sided tank...This way you don't have to lean anything up against walls.

Here's a link in case you missed it..This will give you an idea of how to do it.

http://marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=49

NOTE: DO NOT USE WHITE TIE STRAPS.

Here's why..The Sun, deteriorates white tie straps, and they break...I don't know why, but it does. I assume with the amount of light our tanks need, our lights would do the same.
So err on the side of caution and use black only.

Last edited:
Back