Mixing Saltwater?

droth

Reefing newb
I wanted to ask about mixing your saltwater. Presently I’m cleaning and changing about 25% of my water on a weekly basis. Changing water weekly means mixing a lot of saltwater and I want to be able to make it and store it.

Can I make up saltwater and store it in 18 litre jugs.

How many weeks or months can I store this premixed water for?

TANK SPECS:

temperature: 78°F
specific gravity: 1.023
pH: 8.0
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20 ppm

Started adding RO salt water and live rock January 08, 2010.
45 gallon tank
53lbs fully cured live rock
60lbs of live sand
Aquaclear 70 Filter
3 Power heads
Tunze Skimmer
Current Nova Extreme Pro Light (6 – T5 Bulbs, 4 white & 2 blue)
Heater

Present corals & fish:
(1) Three headed pink tipped coral
(1) Two headed frog spawn
(2) Bubble Coral
(3) Brain Coral
(4) Neon Green Mushroom Coral
(1) Spotted Yellow Wrasse
(1) Coral Banded Shrimp
(3) Emerald Crabs

I have some pre-mixed water and noticed that a little salt settled out. So I would throw a powerhead in it for a bit. Plus make sure the temp matches.

For me this is more of an emergency stash. I still mix up my regular changes in the brute. You only have a 45 gallon tank. I would just do 5 gallons every week.

I don't know about how long you can keep the water but, you should have a heater and a powerhead in the container to keep the water moving. Also make sure you have a top on your container to prevent evaporation. And you should consider raising your salinity a little, 1.025- 1.026 is optimal for reef tanks.

+1 to all above. I also have my RO unit set up to fill two BRUTE trash bins and a float valve for shut off. There is a piece of PVC pipe connecting the 2 at the bottom. Once both are full, I close the ball valve between them. I drop a heater and a pump into one and mix up my salt in that bin. The second (the one with the RO and the float valve) I continue to use as my fresh RO water for top offs. That way, I also have an emergency supply on hand, or my next set for water changes. Once I use it up, I repeat the whole process. I will ALWAYS keep a supply of SW mixed up and ready to go.

Thanks for the adivice gang. I've alsways had my solidity at the 1.022 - 1.024. Is it true that I could and should have it as high as 1.025?

Great advice above.
NSW salinity is 1.026.Thats where I keep my tank.
I used to keep it at 1.023 when I first got into the hobby,but noticed that my corals and inverts did a lot better with it higher.

Thanks for the adivice gang. I've alsways had my solidity at the 1.022 - 1.024. Is it true that I could and should have it as high as 1.025?

That's according to the book "consientious marine aquarist" which is seen by many as an authority on reef aquariums

Back