Maxi-jet/microbubbles

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
My 55 gallon is always full of micro-bubbles and they are coming from my 2 maxi-jet 1200's. I have a drilled tank and I always thought they were coming from my sump, but they are not. I turn my maxi-jets off and no microbubbles. It is extremely annoying and is an eye sore.

Any one else experience this, or have any suggestions.

Take them apart and clean them thoroughly with a bottle brush. If anything is stuck in them, it could be causing the microbubbles. Also make sure the intakes are completely submerged (duh) and not near any sort of return, like a sump or skimmer return. That's all I can think of -- maybe someone else will come up with something

It could be cavitation from the impeller blades. I'd clean them as Biff suggested. Are the outlets of the pumps restricted in any way?

Every maxi-jet I ever had throw micro-bubbles.Not many,but they were still there.
If cleaning them dont fix the problem,I'd either replace them or install the propeller mod.

hmmmm got 2 of them (thanks sarah) and never had a micro bubble problem... seems like all the basics are covered. definately clean them, and of course im sure they are completely submerged, you dont have the airlines hooked up either right? not that i would see how that would affect it.

Like redline said, if you still have the airline hooked up I would remove those and install the blockoff cap. Mine would throw bubbles like crazy when I had the line installed.

Yeah its a little clear cap that plugs up the hole where you can attach the air line. They come with all the other stuff in the box. I use maxi jet 1200 and have no prblem with micro bubbles. Can you get a pic of the pump maybe we can see something. I also just leave the air line hole open with no air line on mine and still have no problem.

Here are a couple pics to help. The first is where the air line hooks up to you can see the clear plastic cap installed.
mypictures293.jpg
[/IMG]

Also make sure the pump in deep enough in water so it can't pull any air in. Here is a shot of how deep mine are.
mypictures294.jpg
[/IMG]

HAHA It's in my build thread. It's great stuff foam. Right now it look white but when the coraline coversit it looks like rock on the glass.

Back