Marineland 5.5 gallon

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
I want to do a little project with this tank, but I wanted to ask you guys some questions. I did a leak test for a good week and it didn't leak a drop. BUT, the walls of the tank kinda bend out a little. I could sorta thump on them a little and it'd ripple all through the tank.

There's THAT, and I'm wondering how you can check to see if the glass is tempered. I want to put a 10g sump on this tank and I'd really like to drill it. How can you check?

Don't know about the bowing question, but if you take a pair of polarized sunglasses and look at the glass, if it is tempered you will see circles and patterns in the glass.

It's definently glass. Thanks for the advice on the glasses. I took a look and it looks completely clear. So what do you think?

It didn't bow out a lot, but it was noticeable. I filled it up outside and thumped the glass a little and it held really solid. I'm kinda sure it won't leak, lol.

Where can I get a drillbit to give it a shot? What size should I pickup? The tank was cheap, I think I can buy them locally for 10 bucks...so if I screw up one it'll be a good lesson.

Do you know of a cheap alternative for about this size of tank? I'm with you. It made me nervous but after I let it sit for awhile and messed with it, I was a little more comfortably with it.

Depending on the glass thickness which I am assuming is very thin, I wouldn't drill it it will most likely break.

You can get good glass drill bits off ebay for pretty cheap.

Back