mandarins ?

no, stais colored, but does go dead still, i found him in a crevace, turned all sideways a couple weeks ago while "looking for pods" with a flashlight, i thought he was dead, but then the next morning, he was up and around again, so i dont know, hes a freaky little critter...

Those of you that are growing your own "pods" what are you feeding them?

I have a large amount of pods in my fuge but I don't know if I should be feeding them or not.

man, thats gonna take some tiny silverware!

do you have to do the "AIRPLANE" to get them to eat?

"alright, here comes the airplane, you better open the hanger...."

Thats a good copapod, eat all your strained green beans...

Last edited:
does yours turn pale and sleep on the bottom of the tank at nigh?

Mandrines secrete a mucus that covers their scent when they sleep.Weather or not mine does that,I have no idea.I only get to see mine for 2 seconds a day,if that.

Those of you that are growing your own "pods" what are you feeding them?

I have a large amount of pods in my fuge but I don't know if I should be feeding them or not.

Most feed on detritus and algae.Some feed on phytoplankton,and some are even blood suckers.:D I wouldnt worry about feeding em.

Mandrines secrete a mucus that covers their scent when they sleep.Weather or not mine does that,I have no idea.I only get to see mine for 2 seconds a day,if that.

mucus... duh. That's one key word I didn't think to use in my frantic search of the internet earlier... :) Thanks yote, I bet that's exactly what it is. how weird and awesome at the same time!

my mandarin "Scooter" (lol yea he got named scooter, altho he is a dragonet), gets very pale at night and scoots in between the heater and the glass and looks dead, every morning hes back to his normal scootish self :) My other mandarin Marley was much much bigger (scooter is about 1 inch, Marley was 4) didn't lose his color but he slept on the bottom of the tank on top of the sand... i think its all mandarin preferance! lol

I had a couple of them and they would sleep on the sand bed or up on the rock. I would look at them with a flashlight at night and I thought the same thing. Panic, OMG it's dead. But then I would see it breathing. They look really weird at night.

Wrasses and Damsels fish will decimate your pod population in a smaller tank.
My MD turns pale and sleeps on the sand at night. I also thought he was dead.
I've had 2 MDs so far and they both readily ate Ocean Nutrition Formula One Pellets Small. I also fed them orange, fresh flying fish roe I get from an Asian market. Rarely have my MDs eaten frozen food. I have seen my MDs eat bristleworms.

You should be good, but mak sure you buy a fat mandarin, one that doesn't look malnourished.

They eat a LOT of pods, but if you have a strong population it should be fine.

Mine does pretty well and my tank isn't exploding with pods. (probably because of him)

Back