Making my overflow box

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
I'm making an overflow with specimen cups, I bought the cups from my friend's mother's pet store because she's not selling fish anymore. Problem is, I bought 2 small cups before realizing that the design I'm going for requires one small (for the inside of the tank) and one large for the outside. Can I still make due with these or will the outside of the overflow....well, overflow? I have some sheets of acrylic that I'm cutting up to lower the outside box and get a stronger syphon. I'm thinking maybe if I have enough drainage in the outside box that it'll be alright. But I need some input before I finalize this thing and get my sump finally running.

you dont want to lower the outside to get more syphon, if you do that then what will happen is when the water level in the dt dropps, like say during a power outage, what will happen is your stronger syphon will suck the inside cup, resevior, or whatever you wanna call it, dry, break the syphon, and then when the power comes back on, the return pump will empty the sump, and possibly overflow the dt.

The inside and outside should be at the same height or your gonna have problems.

you dont want to lower the outside to get more syphon, if you do that then what will happen is when the water level in the dt dropps, like say during a power outage, what will happen is your stronger syphon will suck the inside cup, resevior, or whatever you wanna call it, dry, break the syphon, and then when the power comes back on, the return pump will empty the sump, and possibly overflow the dt.

The inside and outside should be at the same height or your gonna have problems.

See, this is confusing me. I don't understand how I'll get a syphon if they're at the same height. The design I was checking out showed that they were at the same height but when I tested what I have so far for an overflow, it didn't work. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that I was testing it on a kitchen sink, but meh.....I'll just finish it and see what happens.
But do you think I'll be alright without getting a bigger specimen cup? I've already drilled the small one and attached everything. All that I have to do yet really is get my return pump running.

EDIT: and sorry for my noobishness, but what's DT an acronym for?

Back